AVIC411.com

D3 Install in non-RDS 2002 Chevy Blazer (PICS)

My 2002 Chevy Blazer came with a factor 1 1/2 din radio. In 2003, Chevy Blazers/S10s came with a double din RDS radio with a double din dash bezel. I learned that the double din bezels were interchangable with my 1.5 din bezel.

However, behind the bezel was a different story. The radio mounting points were spaced further apart (wider) than 2003-up double din dashes. With this in mind, I had to fabricate a new bracket. With a Metra 99-2003 kit, a dremel, some JB Weld, and some ingenuity I fabricated the bracket in the pictures below. I went a little heavy on the JB Weld since that bracket would be supporting the weight of the entire unit. I also had to do a little trimming at the top of the dash as well as inside the dash.

I installed my backup camera yesterday also. I placed it in a spot that's pretty much hidden from view. You have to really be looking for it to find it.

I must say I love the unit so far. It looks like it belongs in the dash; moreso than my previously installed single din Alpine CDA 9835.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg[/img]

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

XM & Backup Camera boxes installed behind glove box:

IMG_1333.jpg

Final Installation:

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Rear View Camera: