AVIC411.com

Anyone have 97-2003 Ford F150 D3 install pics/experiences?

Anything would be helpful. What items you bought for install, pictures, anything really. Also, if you buy an external DVD player, can you use nav and watch dvd at the same time on a D3/? I;ve searched my little heart out on both of these and haven't seen what ive been looking for.

you dont need an external dvd. you plot out your course with the navi disc in. then you remove it and your course stays in memory. now you watch a dvd and the navi will chime in when your turns are approaching

in the older 150's the stock radio is not a square block in the back,like a d3. and neither is the opening behind it. you will have to cut out part of your defroster ducts to make it fit. when you pull your stock radio you'll see what i mean. have fun

you wont have to cut the vents. just the upper area above the radio has to be removed. its a big piece. also youll have to trime the stock opening on top and bottom to accomodate the unite. when you do keep it centered in the removable part of the dash.

take 4 pieces of radio backstrap, bolt them to the sides of the unit with the excess facing front sticking out towards you. slide the radio in the dash, and when its at the proper depth you can fold the strap around the edges of the opening and screw them in. very secure and you can then snap the cover back over it, remembering to put the trim ring in place before you do.

if we get one in the shop in a next week or so ill post u up a pic or 2. weve been selling d3's like crazy the last couple of weeks. its a nice little piece.

I have a 04 F150 Heritage and i put a DD in. I didnt have to cut through my AC ducting. I cut abt 1" up and cut out the bottom piece between the radio shroud and the AC controls. I also shaved the sides abt 1/8". I installed the cage and went on from there. Nothing more than connecting wires and putting the dash back on.

Here's a 98 navi I did the other day. Used a 99-5805 and quite a bit of cutting. By the way none of that cutting involved the air ducts in any way. I also had to completely remove most of the dash because the factory radio would not come out. After removing 57 bolts and the stock radio. I realized that doing that made it 100x easier to make the needed cuts to the radio opening and the rear area. All in all not bad just time consuming. Total cost for this guy for install was 461 plus tax.

post-157-1287275219281_thumb.jpg

you wont have to cut the vents. just the upper area above the radio has to be removed. its a big piece. also youll have to trime the stock opening on top and bottom to accomodate the unite. when you do keep it centered in the removable part of the dash.

take 4 pieces of radio backstrap, bolt them to the sides of the unit with the excess facing front sticking out towards you. slide the radio in the dash, and when its at the proper depth you can fold the strap around the edges of the opening and screw them in. very secure and you can then snap the cover back over it, remembering to put the trim ring in place before you do.

if we get one in the shop in a next week or so ill post u up a pic or 2. weve been selling d3's like crazy the last couple of weeks. its a nice little piece.

Thanks man that would be really helpful.