AVIC411.com

With AVIC D3s + Question

Hi - Alex here...I'll be getting 2 AVIC D3s installed by a car audio store here in Denver on Wednesday in both my Touareg and my wife's X5....We are very excited to go from basic factory head units to these guys!

I see a wealth of information here and am excited to try some of the mods and suggestions and hopefully contribute as well.

I do have a question for everyone: I really would like to "bypass" the parking brake issues so the passenger can modify nav routes while driving (makes sense to me) and we can play a DVD if our little one starts to melt down in the back seat (he rides rear center so he'll have prime viewing of the screen)...Problem is that I'm affraid to attempt the bypass myself and Car Toys won't do it...Does anyone here have experience with this and live in Colorado (Denver) and want to make a few bucks? I'd make it worth your while and would appreciate it! If so please let me know....Thanks!

Alex

Hey Alex, I'd say sure, but I'm in Bozeman, MT and a 10 hr drive might be a bit far :lol:

I can understand the discomfort for doing it. However, I installed my D3 in my 2004 toyota tacoma just fine with the bypass. I guess it depends on how much experience you've had taking apart and working on cars/wiring. If you've done things like that before, they you'll have no issue. If not, hopefully there's a member around here that would be willing to help.

Thanks for the responses guys and the confidence...frist noob question is what kind of tool do I need to remove it from the dash?

also...I've seen several difference "bypass" threads...is it as simple as removing the yellow/black wire and moving it up a slot as depicted here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4670?

I'm not sure by what is meant by grounding that wire and also the green wire?

Still will be happy to pay for assistance!

I have that same concern but they swear they can do it. the X5 labor is "custom this and custom that" with a custom price tag so I think they've already taken that into consideration. Car Toy's in Denver has won all sorts of awards from the local press so I've got a little faith...

Besides...my wife deffinitely won't settle for anything but "just right" so I'll be sure to post pictues when both rides are done.

They'll also need to bypass the stock amp and if you have the premium stock sound upgrade, that complicates matters even more.

I used to hava a 2000 528.

Pictures would be great. Be sure to also check out the forums on roadfly.org and you'll get photos from other X5 members with their customized X5 upgrades.

Yes...I belive that is part of the plan...I heard a lot about "bypassing the amp" but does this mean that I won't have much for sound anymore or is the AVIC powerful enough to power the speakers sufficiently with out an amp?

Or am I missing something?

The stock amp is weak, however I believe it powers 8 or 10 different speakers, including the tweeters & midrange and is therefore an 8 or 10 channel amp. Your Pioneer will output the typical 4 channels. So your shop has 2 options. Wire the Pioneer into your bmw amp and let it take over. You'll have the same sound quality.

The other option is to bypass the amp, replace the front speakers w/ component speakers, and enjoy 4 channels w/ double the power and better SQ.

Are you adding anything else or just the Avic? Do you have the premium system, illustrated by the word DSP on the audio button?

I wasn't planning on replacing any speakers nor did they tell me I needed to...That sounds like it will suck...having fewer speakers...I'll have to find out what the plan is but I dont like the "sound" of it!

I wonder why they told me they were bypassing the factory amp but did not suggest i purchase new speakers - I hate the though of having some speakers just sitting there.

Also - I wonder if it is the same in my Touraeg....likely so?

Hi - Alex here...I'll be getting 2 AVIC D3s installed by a car audio store here in Denver on Wednesday in both my Touareg and my wife's X5....We are very excited to go from basic factory head units to these guys!

I see a wealth of information here and am excited to try some of the mods and suggestions and hopefully contribute as well.

I do have a question for everyone: I really would like to "bypass" the parking brake issues so the passenger can modify nav routes while driving (makes sense to me) and we can play a DVD if our little one starts to melt down in the back seat (he rides rear center so he'll have prime viewing of the screen)...Problem is that I'm affraid to attempt the bypass myself and Car Toys won't do it...Does anyone here have experience with this and live in Colorado (Denver) and want to make a few bucks? I'd make it worth your while and would appreciate it! If so please let me know....Thanks!

Alex

Alex, as far as the bypass is concerned, I would suggest that when the shop finishes the install, pull the guy that actually does the install to the side and make a deal with him to maybe come by your house afterwards and do it. The shop wont do it because of liabilities but the individual probably will. I would throw a little money at the issue as you have advertised here.

Good suggestion....I will likely give that a try and hopefully he will bite.

It is ridiculous that one's "navigator" can't mess with the device while one is driving. I can certanitly understand the logic behind the "lockout" but at the same time it really hinders the useability of the device.

On an interesting note the Touraeg actually senses if someone is in the driver or passenger seat and shuts off the airbag....I wonder if the stock nav senses a shotgun riders presence and allows them control....for that matter one can utililze a Hertz neverlost when the veichle is driving...