AVIC411.com

HD Radio: Will the AVIC-Z1 support it?

Guest guest
The reception of HD radio would be as good as the source, most likely CD in this case, since transmission is digital it should be identical as the source. I don't know if HD radio supports SACD or DVD-A, if it does, then it's like getting HDTV in 1080, if it doesn't then it's like getting EDTV or watch DVD.
Guest guest
What am I thinking, SACD and DVD-A are multi-channels, bad comparision. May be a better comparision would be to HD-CD. Since HD-CD and CD does not have significant bandwidth differences (unlike HDTV), I think HD Radio will as good as the source, forget about the HDTV, EDTV comparision.
[quote name="RockStarATL"]HD Radio is being planned as an add-on for the Z1 once the new firmware comes out which will add it to the GUI.[/quote]

Source?

I really just don't see the point of HD radio. Nothing but commercials.. I truly think sat radio is where it's at...JMO is all.
[quote name="rlith"]
I really just don't see the point of HD radio. Nothing but commercials.. I truly think sat radio is where it's at...JMO is all.[/quote]

I couldn't help but notice that Sirius is starting to run more and more "make money on the internet" type commercials. It's going to be just like cable was in the 80's. (apparently, we never learn) Cable started out as a "No- commercial alternative to regular TV" and we all bought into it, and once we loved it and couldn't live without it, they slowly started to add commercials "to fund improvements to OUR cable" Now, just like free "rabbit ears" TV, there's more commercial programming than programming. Guess what sat. radio is going to do? Wanna bet a paycheck? I guarentee that it WILL do the same, and in 5 years, you'll be paying for sat radio & listening to commercials, JUST like we all do for cable. Everyone will demand greater clarity/ sound quality which will require more bandwidth, so they'll say that to meet our demands, they'll have to generate more revenue, etc. etc. You watch. Just my $.02...or 3...or 5. Sorry.
I have yet to hear a commercial on any of the music channels what so ever on Sirius...Now on the talk/entertainment ones (including stern) Yes, they have commercials, but most of that is because it comes from outside sirius (except for stern and he only has mebbe 10 mins worth of commercials per couple of hours)
[quote name="RockStarATL"]Source? I own an electronics store.[/quote]

Ok, how about something on the web, in print is what I'm saying... Again though, why is anyone going to shell out the money for HD just so they can listen to 40 mins of commercials per hour? No one seems to want to address this.