AVIC411.com

factory gps ant into d3

I've got an 06 audi A3 and a D3. I currently have the gps ant just sitting on the dash while I try to figure this out. All US A3s use the rear window for AM/FM and the roof mount ant is for gps and sat radio. the roof mount has all fakra connectors coming off it but they do not fit the d3 connection. I was till friday a tech at an Audi dealer and still have acess to the parts department. We have cablesin various lengths and many adaters but none adapt the d3 connector to the fakra.

I have done some research and what I can come up with is that pioneer uses a hiroso conectoer which is apparently a gt5 series. I have gone over many pdfs and cannot figure out 100% which connector it uses based on the pictures.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to modify the d3 to work with their factory gps ant and how they did it.

I am real close to just buying another pioneer gps ant and taking the connector off to try and solder to one of the extension cablesI can get to audi, but I wanted to find out if there was another way first.

thanks in advance for any help.

it's just a coax wire. if you cut it, you will see a center pin, a di-electric, and a braided shield. I would get something that plugs into your cars antenna that you can cut. then cut your pioneer plug off of the antenna that comes with the D3 and then just solder your connections. Connect the pioneers plug to the wire from your cars antenna. Assuming the antennas are the same just with different plugs then it should work just fine. We have a term at work for someone who does stuff like this...Splicerman!!! haha, good luck. let us know if you do it and if it works

NICE AVATAR! :lol:

thanks I'll let the fiancee know you liked it :)

I didnt want to cut and splice for all the reasons listed.. I'm also an Audi/Vw tech so soldering is cause for instant banishment from the shop, although I am very good at it since I have soldered 1000plus proms to boards doing chip tuning.

Unfortantely the actual pin end going into the pioneer unit is different then any of the available ends for fakra connectors that we have at the dealer. I have been trying to locate just the actual terminal with no plastic housing that pioneer uses so that I can put that on the end of one of the Audi wires but I have had no luck.

I am probably gonna yank it out sometime this week and really take the time to look at it and figure it out, no where unusual to drive that I would need the nav.

Thanks for the help so far. I will keep everyone posted on what I find since I am sure others will come along wanting to know this information.

You might try calling Pioneer and getting the contact info for your local Pioneer repair shop... The place you would send your unit to get warranty repairs made...

I think the repair shops are different than the reseller/install shops...

Contact them and see if you can order just the connector from them...

Don't know, just an idea...

Good luck,

Mark

You might try calling Pioneer and getting the contact info for your local Pioneer repair shop... The place you would send your unit to get warranty repairs made...

I think the repair shops are different than the reseller/install shops...

Contact them and see if you can order just the connector from them...

Don't know, just an idea...

Good luck,

Mark

I will stop by our distributor on the way back to the shop (I run my performance shop out of a stero shop and use their distributor) and see what they have. I need to pick up a bluetooth setup if they have one and some other stuff .They are also an electronic repair shop so they may know or possibly have a damaged GPS unit I can steal the connector from

thanks for the idea.