AVIC411.com

Z1 and a new Z2 Bypass Q's

Guys,

I got a Z2 advance shipped to replace a Z1 that I have because of a backup camera problem.

I was wondering how I can help as I have not hooked up the Z2 yet and have a non-updated early Z1. I do not own a cable or have the software do read the drive.

Any ideas? Is it true I can take my Z1 drive and put it in my Z2?

Guys,

I got a Z2 advance shipped to replace a Z1 that I have because of a backup camera problem.

I was wondering how I can help as I have not hooked up the Z2 yet and have a non-updated early Z1. I do not own a cable or have the software do read the drive.

Any ideas? Is it true I can take my Z1 drive and put it in my Z2?

If you put your hard drive of your Z1 into your Z2, then wouldnt it be a Z1? Are you doing that so that you can do the bypass?

• 4 weeks later...

yes im aware of that but i wanted to know what happens if you get a z1 hdd on z2 ? because if its just a matter of all os options being new on z2 then why the heck would you spent 2gs and just put back a old outdated drive? but then again if you loose no interations of the z2 new features then puttin z1 hdd can benefit due to the bypass.

if you swap hard drives then yes the unit will become exactly the same as a Z1. The Z2 is an exact copy of the Z1 hardware wise. It is only the contents on the hard drive that differ.

Yes swapping one for the other doesnt make sense, unless you are doing it for the bypass.

ok then if change hdd is the same thing as software wise then its pointless to buy a z2 because a z1 is cheaper And you can bypass it . then again i guess the purpose of this is for those who cant buy z1? or why would they do this? :shock:

The Z1's software, for all it's faults is not perfect, but it's not bad. Most people with Z2's haven't shown that it's light years ahead of the Z1. So get another hard drive and put a Z1 image on it and bypass it till the Z2 bypass comes out.

Why would you buy a Z2 to just put Z1 software on it? You wouldn't. But if you really get annoyed with your Z2 and want to bypass it, it's the only option at the moment.

this would ovbiously voild warranty? i bought it at costco due to the warranty purpose, god lol i thought z2 was a better unit so thats why i bought it :(

Not necessarily. Buy a new hard drive and load the Z1 software on it and install it into the Z2 and leave the Z2 drive alone. If there is a problem stick the old drive back in, no one is any wiser. Or you can make a backup of the software on your PC and reload it if you want to. This can be done to leave no trace if you were anal enough about the procedure you took for this.

And the Z2 probably is a "better unit" it's just not an easily bypassable unit.

this would ovbiously voild warranty? i bought it at costco due to the warranty purpose, god lol i thought z2 was a better unit so thats why i bought it :(

Not necessarily. Buy a new hard drive and load the Z1 software on it and install it into the Z2 and leave the Z2 drive alone. If there is a problem stick the old drive back in, no one is any wiser. Or you can make a backup of the software on your PC and reload it if you want to. This can be done to leave no trace if you were anal enough about the procedure you took for this.

And the Z2 probably is a "better unit" it's just not an easily bypassable unit.

lol i thought to acess the drive you had to remove a voild sticker thats why i was wondering...... now besides the disadvantage in the z2 compared to z1 on bypass what advantages is it over the z1? besides of course on kinda useless info of poin updates

lol i thought to acess the drive you had to remove a voild sticker thats why i was wondering......

Nope, no stickers. Just open the face, and unscrew two screws and it slides out. Then you need to unlock the drive and I would recommend disabling security... but that can be put back. The only "evidence" is that there might be fingerprints on the drive due to handling.

now besides the disadvantage in the z2 compared to z1 on bypass what advantages is it over the z1? besides of course on kinda useless info of poin updates

The Z2 is supposed to have an updated map. But from what most people have said the differences are not that amazing. I'll bet that 99% of the people, if you replaced the Z2 software with Z1 software they would never even know.