AVIC411.com

hey people, I need some help and clarification please.

First, On wiring up the VSS and Reverse, I pulled the ecu plugs out, and i see the green with yellow stripe on the bottom plug. Right near it is brown with a yellow stripe. Are those the correct wires or where should I be?

secondly, On wiring it up, I did the bypass, grounding the brake wire and moving the mute pin. But the mute wire hooks up to nothing, whats the point of moving it then?

Thanks a bunch!

Doug

ok, first of all, i hope you disconnected your battery before you started pulling plugs out of the ecu :shock:

Reverse Light brown/yellow + passenger kick, harness to rear

Speed Sense green/yellow or green/black ECM below glove box

On the non-turbo models the vss is in pin 12 of the 35 pin plug. On the turbo models the vss is in pin 13 of the 35 pin plug. On the STi models the vss is in pin 26 of the 35 pin plug.

The vss wire is also found behind the instrument cluster.

you have to ground the mute wire after you move it

ok, first of all, i hope you disconnected your battery before you started pulling plugs out of the ecu :shock:

Reverse Light brown/yellow + passenger kick, harness to rear

Speed Sense green/yellow or green/black ECM below glove box

On the non-turbo models the vss is in pin 12 of the 35 pin plug. On the turbo models the vss is in pin 13 of the 35 pin plug. On the STi models the vss is in pin 26 of the 35 pin plug.

The vss wire is also found behind the instrument cluster.

you have to ground the mute wire after you move it

Well of course the battery was disconnected.

I read the same quote about 50 times on here, but there are a couple things.

1 - subaru changes so many little things every year that I didn't want to use 05 wiring stuff for the 06.

2 - I had found a brown/yellow and a Green/yellow on another plug. Turned out to be o2 sensor and something else I forget what.

3 - 35 pin plug? why not second from the bottom? I can't believe I pulled off every damn plug, counted the pins, double and triple checked them and then still went to find a diagram.

Going from the "kick panel", well, we all call things like that different things. Ask some honda guys and the kick panel is the same as the kick plate, which is what covers the ECU. Being a Prior honda guy, thats what I was expecting.

I tapped the reverse wire to the brown/yellow wire in the thickest bunch of cables I found leading to the rear of the car.

The Green/yellow wire was found using an 05 wiring diagram on NASIOC. This was, after some though, chosen to be ok considering that the COBB AP2 is the same for all USDM STI's. So, apparently they have the same wiring.

Hind sight being 20/20 whats posted is enough, but I do wish I had done a write up. When you are about to install $1k + worth of stereo on your own car, you start to second guess yourself.

For those that need the wiring diag for an 04-07 STI, this is what I used on my 06. The plugs are shown backwards, or from the wire's point of view.

You won't find the reverse wire on there, so just remove the kick panel (door sill, black plastic piece that covers the lower door jam, extending to the passenger side foot rest area). There is about a 2" thick wire cluster. in there is a milk chocolate brown colored wire with a yellow stripe. Thats what you tap the reverse from.

I still have yet to find out WHY you need to ground the mute wire? I'm going to spend some time tomorrow reading all of the work around threads, but it would still be nice to get the answer here on why it needs to be moved and grounded.

http://www.northursalia.com/modificatio ... TI_ECM.pdf

This is from me.

avic-wiring.jpg

Thanks for the help.

2 - I had found a brown/yellow and a Green/yellow on another plug. Turned out to be o2 sensor and something

You shouldnt of even touched it if you didnt know what it was to begin with, the explaination of what is what and where it is is pretty straight forward.. no need to 'find' other wiring.

Going from the "kick panel", well, we all call things like that different things. Ask some honda guys and the kick panel is the same as the kick plate, which is what covers the ECU. Being a Prior honda guy, thats what I was expecting.

just so you know, kick panel is a universal term. If you or some select other few decide not to accept what that is, thats you guys, but Technical people, schematics and the majority of the field use this term to describe a specific location, its very well known. plate and panel are two different words and terms.. just so you know.

I tapped the reverse wire to the brown/yellow wire in the thickest bunch of cables I found leading to the rear of the car.

Finding the thickest wire, or similar logic is NOT the way you should be locating your wiring. Such a nice fast car shouldnt be abused like that.

Though what i say may seem harsh, ALL the info needed is here, has been since I did my sti and likely even before that. This stuff needs to be done properly, or you will mess up something in your nice new car, and many guys here will speak from experience that it COULD be an expensive mess up! So be careful, read what you need to first, get a clear understanding of it.

just so you know, kick panel is a universal term. If you or some select other few decide not to accept what that is, thats you guys, but Technical people, schematics and the majority of the field use this term to describe a specific location, its very well known. plate and panel are two different words and terms.. just so you know.

Yes, kick panel is so universal and common that in 10 years of automotive experience I have never heard that piece refered to as kick panel.

Finding the thickest wire, or similar logic is NOT the way you should be locating your wiring. Such a nice fast car shouldnt be abused like that.

Learn to read, then reply.

Though what i say may seem harsh, ALL the info needed is here, has been since I did my sti and likely even before that. This stuff needs to be done properly, or you will mess up something in your nice new car, and many guys here will speak from experience that it COULD be an expensive mess up! So be careful, read what you need to first, get a clear understanding of it.

All the info on here was for every damn year or model other then a 2006 STI. You, being an STI owner, should know how much Subaru changes things from year to year. Get off your high horse and put yourself in someone elses position.

For being such a small community there sure are a bunch of elitest little bitches here.

All the info on here was for every damn year or model other then a 2006 STI. You, being an STI owner, should know how much Subaru changes things from year to year. Get off your high horse and put yourself in someone elses position.

For being such a small community there sure are a bunch of elitest little bitches here.

sorry you feel that way, you can leave if you dont want to play nice or contribute. I wasnt insulting you then I was merely trying to help you understand things because it is soooo clear to every reader here that (even though you boast 10 years in the automotive field) you dont have the first clue. If you had read like you suggest I do, you would have known I posted about the 06 sti, as that is what I had. quick search and only like 5 threads on the first page would give you this:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=sti

If you want, you can check out http://bulldogsecurity.com/ and the12volt.com cardomain.com and and and a bunch of others that all refer to kick panels. but it seems you would rather defend your futile stance and insult people.

Bro, wise up, i wasnt insulting you just giving you info to help you, cuz believe it or not, going with the biggest wire in some harness to the back of the car is NOT the best way to find your reverse wire, and the countless other mistakes you made.

fwi, subaru does change things but not nearly as massively as you suggest. But we dont expect you to understand that here if you are making silly assumptions and mistakes as mentioned in your 2nd post on this thread. So go ahead and keep flaming if thats your goal, I wont be sucked into it, its clear just how much inexperience and lack of knowledge you have.

sorry you feel that way, you can leave if you dont want to play nice or contribute. I wasnt insulting you then I was merely trying to help you understand things because it is soooo clear to every reader here that (even though you boast 10 years in the automotive field) you dont have the first clue. If you had read like you suggest I do, you would have known I posted about the 06 sti, as that is what I had. quick search and only like 5 threads on the first page would give you this:

Never did I say 10 years in the automotive field. You take words and mix them around just like before and that is where issues start.

If I wanted to go to the gauge cluster then yes this would have worked fine.

You said you went to the ecu on your 05 and your 06. Didn't say they were the same plug, pin, wire, etc. Nothing there leads you to believe they are the same.

That site link sent me to purchase a backup camera or some jazz. The wiring, again as stated above.

Again, just the information previously stated and debated.

What does this thread have to do with anything? It is in regards to NAV accuracy.

If you want, you can check out http://bulldogsecurity.com/ and the12volt.com cardomain.com and and and a bunch of others that all refer to kick panels. but it seems you would rather defend your futile stance and insult people.

You are the one that came in here bitching and trying to be Billy E-badass in the first place.

Bro, wise up, i wasnt insulting you just giving you info to help you, cuz believe it or not, going with the biggest wire in some harness to the back of the car is NOT the best way to find your reverse wire, and the countless other mistakes you made.

Again, you fail to read. It was not the biggest wire, it was the biggest group of wires. Removing the Kick panel reveals a couple plugs, some various wiring and a mass of wires leading to the rear of the car. That mass of wires is what I speak of. Reverse wire goes to the rear of the car. If the wire you need goes to the back, well by god it has to be in there then doesn't it?

fwi, subaru does change things but not nearly as massively as you suggest. But we dont expect you to understand that here if you are making silly assumptions and mistakes as mentioned in your 2nd post on this thread. So go ahead and keep flaming if thats your goal, I wont be sucked into it, its clear just how much inexperience and lack of knowledge you have.

This from the one who mixes words and fails to read properly? Please, I invite you to finally shut up and leave my thread.

lol

Yes, kick panel is so universal and common that in 10 years of automotive experience I have never heard that piece refered to as kick panel.

Never did I say 10 years in the automotive field.

lol your FUNNY as hell bro, keep it up!!!

whether or not its the biggest wire, or biggest harness, thats STILL not the right way to find wires. lol split hairs or wires, it dont make it right!!