AVIC411.com

iPod search question

ive been looking into getting a D3, 1 question about the ipod, if you have a fairly extensive library and are trying to get to Nas for instance, which might be 80 artists down from A, can you jump ahead quicker or do you just have to keep pressin the down arrow and have it move 7 artists at a time or whatever the number is. i was at circuit city messing with it but they didnt have it hooked up to an ipod so i was unable to search

you can press several time the "down" button without waiting for the pages to appear. I.e., if you are at page 1, and want to scroll to page 10, you have to press the down arrow 9 times. Page 10 will show in a little while, but you won't see page 2,3,4 etc.

Agreed...

Also, if you want to "page" down, you do not have to keep pressing the down arrow each time...

You can just press and hold your finger on the down arrow and it will "scroll" through the list...

Like aedus said, you will not see each individual page of names, but it will scroll through fairly quickly just holding down on the down arrow...

After a while you begin to remember which page certain letters are on... ie - I know for my iPod the E's start around page 40 of 90...

Good luck,

Mark

For what it's worth, you can also page in reverse from the initial screen. Start with Alan Parson's Project and hit the up arrow to get to ZZ Top (yes, I know I've dated myself with my band selections).

It's a shame that it shows a little scroll bar but doesn't actually let you drag your finger on it to scroll.

Scott

ok thanks guys, that helps out a lot, i was at circuit city today playing dvds and such and the unit seems to be real nice. of course the one i was at didnt have an ipod cable hooked up to it tho

mlammert a question for you, how long would u estimate it takes you to scroll through 50 pages of artists, just so i have an idea what i'm looking at

also the salesguy at circuit city said that when you play videos from the ipod the video fills most of the screen, however from what i've read on here that doesnt seem to be the consensus, is the salesguy wrong?

If I had to make a best estimate, probably 20-30 seconds to actually scroll through that many pages...

If you simply hold your finger down on the up/down button, the page numbers scroll pretty fast...

Then, it takes a little bit longer to actually go back/forward a few screens to find the specific playlist you are looking for...

As far as iPod video filling the screen or not, it all depends in what aspect ratio the video on the iPod was encoded at...

There was a pretty in depth thread about ratio and screen size... Try searching for "17:9" or something like that... And, yes, that is 17:9 not 16:9 you want to search for... :P

Good luck,

Mark