AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 GEX-P10XMT Install Questions

I'm hoping some of you experts on stereo install can help me.

I'm installing an AVIC-D3 in my '06 Tacoma Double Cab. Here are the questions I have:

1. I have to hook up a constant power lead for the XM brain (GEX-P10XMT). Is it OK to just tap into the same constant power lead that the D3 is using?

2. I'm placing the XM brain under the front double cup holder on the hump. I'm just going to velcro in down and trim the support posts for the cup holder so that it will fit. Anyone see any problems with that?

3. Where should I mount the gps antenna? I've heard of people mounting it under the dash. I'm assuming this is between the HU and the top of the dash. Can I just pop it on top of the head unit itself?

4. Depending on where I mount the GPS antenna, is it a bad idea to route the XM and GPS antenna leads next to each other? Is it a bad idea to mount the antennas themselves near each other?

I very much appreciate any help that you all can give a newbie here. Also, any other tips, advice, or kernels or wisdom are much appreciated.

Again, thanks!

1-yes

2-no

3-no, you dont want a magnet on your unit. mount it on your dash, its not big or obtrusive, and will work much better there

4-no, but your xm antenna should be mounted outside

Thanks.

Last night, I got lazy and just popped the gps on top of the HU and stuffed it all in the dash and I'm not getting any signal (actually, the status screen says OK, but it looks like the satellite icons are all dimmed. I assume this means no signal). This is before I read your reply.

I think I will run the gps antenna into the engine compartment and mount on the part of the frame (top of firewall, under the plastic cowling where the wiper is. I have my XM antenna there and have never had any reception problems. Only thin plastic between antenna and sky.

Couple more quickies:

1. "Back signal" is low....what does that mean?

2. "Excessive Vibration" while driving. Is that anything to worry about?

Thanks again for the help.

I have an 06 Tacoma as well. You probably didn't transfer the little plastic holding clips from the old radio faceplate to the new Scouche one (assuming that is what you are using). I didn't add them at first and noticed it was vibrating a lot, then I saw the clips, transfered them, and it holds snug.

I have an 06 Tacoma as well. You probably didn't transfer the little plastic holding clips from the old radio faceplate to the new Scouche one (assuming that is what you are using). I didn't add them at first and noticed it was vibrating a lot, then I saw the clips, transfered them, and it holds snug.

I thought I had bought a Scosche kit from the local dealer, and it turns out it is a Metra that I don't like so much. I have a Scosche coming today that I will try to install tonight. From the pics, it looks like the Scosche tilts the HU a little bit down (i.e. more level than the Metra), which I like (glare-wise). The Metra used the stock metal brackets to mount the HU.

I also heard some people mention that the Scosche requred a bit of trimming to get the fit right. Did you notice anything like that?

Thanks.

Im aware there is a metal "plate" for the GPS antenna, which I used.

But was there also a plate for the XM antenna? If so, I may need to look for it/install it, as my dash mounted XM antenna without the plate gets dropouts when Im traveling Eastbound

The Scouche kit is actually pretty nice. It fit well, with no trimming at all, easy fit. Just remember the plastic clips from the stock faceplate. Crutchfield sent me the Metra kit for free when I got my D3, but I didn't like the black look. Good luck.