AVIC411.com

Looking Into D3 for 91 Volvo 940SE

Well after all the years I've spent looking at navigations and wanting to get one, I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get the AVIC-D3 for my 91 Volvo 940SE.

Basically, there are 2 single DIN openings which when both are removed, make a double DIN opening. The stock radio fills one of these openings and the other is a storage space. My feeling is that with both of these removed it should allow for a double DIN unit like the AVIC-D3 to slide right in.

Here is a picture, though it doesn't do much justice, this is not from my vehicle as its in the body shop currently:

7a97_12.JPG

I'm just curious, has anyone ever done an install on an older Volvo like mine? Would a double DIN kit from a newer model Volvo fit? I'm shying away from the single DIN Pioneer units, because I feel with the screen ejected it would interfere with being able to access the heater controls, not to mention its a cleaner look with just the screen.

Also, what are the differences between the D1, D2 and D3, I'm trying to be economical at the same time.

I appreciate any help offered.

Yes it is possible to fit a double din in that space. You'll just need a cage/trim ring from a d1/2. If you did decide to go with a single din though, who says you have to put it in the same space as the old radio was. You can put the flipout where the storage area was and move the storage area up. I've done than more times than I can count in cars like subarus. As for the differences between the 3 d's, search and yee shall find the answers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...