AVIC411.com

Hey guys,

Just put my D3 into my '06 Expedition.. that along with MB Quart PCE213 comp's in front, JBL Power 6x8's in the rear, and an Infinity Basslink in the rear for some bass. I got a profile 4x80w amp pushing the door speaks. The installer setup up the system so that the door speaker handle the mid-to-high freqs., while the sub does the bass.

My problem is that the high frequency/tweets are like sandblasting my eardrums! :? Like really raspy at times... and not at ridiculous volumes or anything.

So I decided to start tinkering with the with the D3's EQ.

I'm trying to make the custom 1 preset work. Within a certain band, I'll adjust a specific frequency to my liking... then when I move to the next frequency over, it shift a bunch, including the freq I just set. What's up with that? What's the trick with setting this up? I tried looking to the manual for the answers, but it doesn't go into enough detail about EQ'ing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I was also wondering about test cd's for tuning stereos, but I think I'll just post a separate thread.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve :D

what do you mean installer? i thought you were doing it yourself?

I had a friend of my father (who has been doing this stuff hardcore as a hobby for years) run the wires (pwr, rca, gnds,etc.) and he setup the amp/freq xovers.

Actually, I was into it with all the door panels off, HU installed, and just felt WAY too overwhelmed as far as where to place all the wiring/amp stuff. So he did me a favor, and helped out. I must say, looking back, Installing the HU seemed to be the easy part for sure! :lol:

Steve

My problem is that the high frequency/tweets are like sandblasting my eardrums! :? Like really raspy at times... and not at ridiculous volumes or anything.

Well, like a couple other people said the D3 is a parametric EQ not a graphical EQ...

Parametric EQ's have different "bands" of frequencies they affect... I believe the D3 has three bands...

So, as you shift say the middle band, it will affect the low and high band as well since they are all "connected" so to speak...

You might just try turning down the gains on your amp that is powering the front speakers...

Or, try messing with the crossover settings in the D3 and in the amp if it is setup that way...

If it sounds "raspy" I can't imagine EQing helping out that much... I could be wrong though... EQing is a bandiad for something like that, IMHO... Not a true fix...

See if the MBQ crossovers have attenuation switches or something...

Good luck,

Mark

1st, I would say one of your more pressing issues is the fact that you have 3 speaker brands in your vehicle. You will never be able to get a matched sound from different manufactures.

On the note of the speakers, do you have them set up on an x-over? You can always put a passive x-over so you can fine adjust the frequencies going to the rears...

Well, like a couple other people said the D3 is a parametric EQ not a graphical EQ...

Parametric EQ's have different "bands" of frequencies they affect... I believe the D3 has three bands...

So, as you shift say the middle band, it will affect the low and high band as well since they are all "connected" so to speak...

You might just try turning down the gains on your amp that is powering the front speakers...

Or, try messing with the crossover settings in the D3 and in the amp if it is setup that way...

If it sounds "raspy" I can't imagine EQing helping out that much... I could be wrong though... EQing is a bandiad for something like that, IMHO... Not a true fix...

See if the MBQ crossovers have attenuation switches or something...

Good luck,

Mark

Yeah the crossovers have attenuation jumpers... go to a lower jumper?

Steve

Well, I am not an audio expert/installer...

The last thing you could try is seeing if there is a phase switch or reversing the phase of the tweeters...

Just a guess... I have no clue if that will help...

I still however think that this is a speaker/crossover issue and not a D3 issue... But, again, I am no expert...

Anybody else have any other ideas???

Good luck,

Mark