AVIC411.com

Z1 bypass no longer effective

I have an original Z1 with the bluetooth update and the 2 wire bypass. I have removed the module from Ducatiboy. Everything has worked fine for many months. Just today I now get a flashing message after the dvd has been playing for a few minutes which says "Attention:Viewing of video source while driving is strictly prohibited". It flashes and then the video continues, it then becomes more frequent. My first assumption was that a wire is loose. But all the nav functions still work while in motion. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Well, I don't think this is a normal operation (a timer that waits 2 months before bothering you with this).

It's either a loose wire, or your Z1 is flaking out.

Loose wire:

Double and triple check all the connections. Especially the on on the "secret pin" in connector 2.

Flaking out:

Try resets in increasing level of "stuff that it wipes out". Start with level 1 then 2 then three (appendix in the manual).

But what you are seeing is not normal.

I don't know, I would think not, but this system is so complicated and works by checking the state of those wires and it checks at different times. What if the wire was loose and intermittent, but the nav features check the state of that wire when the Avic boots up and only then, but the AV feature checks periodically? They are probably 2 different checks cause they are based off 2 different functions and provide 2 different results. It's possible they check in 2 different ways. Which could cause one working without the other.

I don't know but this scenarios is not out of the range of possibilities.

This thing is all software based, most likely, programmed by dozens of engineers. Who knows what they did.

I'm not saying that's the way it is and I would agree with you, gut feeling is that loose wire does not make sense, but the alternative is failing Avic. So you go with what's been "touched" by the end user as the first assumption before assuming the system is malfunctioning. The modification of connector 2 is what effects what you are seeing, and MANY people have trouble doing it reliably. Which usually makes me focus on that when there is a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I would put my money on the Z1 flaking out. I was on my second defective z1 and now I am being forced into a Z2 and am crossing my fingers that someone figures out a usable bypass. My problem(with both Z1s) was that it would stick on the pioneer screen whenever the temp outside was above 90. This meant that when I left in the morning they would work and then not again until it got dark outside.

Turns out it was the loose connection. We wound up using an unused (yellow) wire from the same connector since there is no connector in that pinout. Are there any tips to keep that connector stable and prevent the same thing from happening? I asked the installer to stuff something in there to keep it from coming loose but he did not want to do that.