AVIC411.com

Ranger Install (not repeat questions)

I'm finally going to be installing the D3 when it comes this week and have a few questions that I havent been able to find answers to via the search button.

(...is it pretentious or helpful to number your questions....?)

1. There has been a lot of talk about trimming the dash to make a D3 fit right in a ranger, or explorer with a similar dash. I bouth the American International Dash Kit. Al (or Ed, im not sure which one it was...) convinced me that the scosche kit and the AI kit were basically the same. What does this mean exactly? Where do I trim, what tool do I trim with it? and can a baffoon like me do it adequately?

2. Is there a place to 'stealth' mount the gps antenna in the ranger?

3. What is the basic process for tapping into the VSS and similar wires? Im good with the regular harness stuff, but I'm not sure how Ill go about the other stuff which seems a little more complex

I'll probably have more questions BUT hopefully I will soon have something to contribute to the forum in the form of pics of the D3 installed in the Ranger, something ive never seen before and something i know at least one other person on the forums is waiting for.

Thanks Guys!

I'm finally going to be installing the D3 when it comes this week and have a few questions that I havent been able to find answers to via the search button.

(...is it pretentious or helpful to number your questions....?)

It's helpful for those like me who like to cut up the quote when making the reply.

1. There has been a lot of talk about trimming the dash to make a D3 fit right in a ranger, or explorer with a similar dash. I bouth the American International Dash Kit. Al (or Ed, im not sure which one it was...) convinced me that the scosche kit and the AI kit were basically the same. What does this mean exactly? Where do I trim, what tool do I trim with it? and can a baffoon like me do it adequately?

A dremel would be fine. It's hard to describe exactly what it is you're gonna have to cut, but if you can take a picture of the dash with the radio removed we can show you.

2. Is there a place to 'stealth' mount the gps antenna in the ranger?

Couldn't say really so I'll leave that one to someone else.

3. What is the basic process for tapping into the VSS and similar wires? Im good with the regular harness stuff, but I'm not sure how Ill go about the other stuff which seems a little more complex

The best way is cut away the insulation about 1/2" to 3/4" of the wire you're splicing into. Then split the copper conductor so you have a sort of O shape. Now take the wire you want to add, strip back an inch of that. Feed the stripped end into the O and wrap it around. Solder, tape and call it a day. That's the best possible connection.

I'll probably have more questions BUT hopefully I will soon have something to contribute to the forum in the form of pics of the D3 installed in the Ranger, something ive never seen before and something i know at least one other person on the forums is waiting for.

That would be nice, so many people just come here demand answers and then leave.

Thanks Guys!

Not a problem.

i installed a z1 in my bros 2000 explorer. same dash. i had to dremel the top and bottoms just like was shown in the pictures. only problem is that the top and bottom will fit since youre cutting, but the sides will have small gaps. i used the flat trim piece that comes with the d3 and cut the side pieces off and trimmed them to fit in the side gaps on an 03 superduty that i worked on. the radio opening is the same size so it should work for you. or if you want to do something easier, you can get some foam strips and spray paint them black and stick them in on the sides. it resembles black abs plastic and easy to put in as well.