AVIC411.com

Do you have a D1, XM radio and live in Toronto?

Do you have a D1 and an XM radio and live in the Greater Toronto Area?

I have a D1 and live in the GTA and am considering getting an XM radio - probably the GEX-P920XM and was wondering what other model everyone else has.

How has your experience been with it?

Is it worth it? Will you keep subscribing once your current subscription ends?

1. What brand/model XM radio do you have?
2. Is it worth it? Do you regret your decision to get one?
3. Will you renew your subscription once it expires?
4. How is the reception quality? I know it is not CD quality simply because the songs are compressed, however I am more interested in comparing it with FM radio which sucks.
(I live in Ajax)...

I've had XM radio for about 2 years now. I've had a Roady 2 (wife has it in her car now), a Dephi MyFi (recently decomissioned) and now have a Pioneer Inno (love that little guy !).

I purchased the D1 about 3 weeks ago along with the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT. Didn't even give a second thought to NOT having this unit. I chose the -P10XMT because I wanted the "cool" GUI (channel icons). The only thing I don't like is the 16 character artist / title display (minor quibble really).

Make sure you DO NOT connect the data cable unless you subscribe to the NAVTRAFFIC service. Otherwise you'll get a constant "XM Updating" message popping up.

I still use the INNO (via the A/V input) to listen to a 2 hour delay of Opie & Anthony's 6-8am segment (can skip commercials with it).

In summary, get XM ! Toronto repeater coverage is perfect. You won't regret it.
Thanks cable guy for your feedback! :D
[quote name="cable guy"]
I purchased the D1 about 3 weeks ago along with the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT. Didn't even give a second thought to NOT having this unit. I chose the -P10XMT because I wanted the "cool" GUI (channel icons). The only thing I don't like is the 16 character artist / title display (minor quibble really).

Make sure you DO NOT connect the data cable unless you subscribe to the NAVTRAFFIC service. Otherwise you'll get a constant "XM Updating" message popping up.
[/quote]The NavTraffic service is not available here anyway....... I am just curious to why did you bought that model of XM radio and not the GEX-P920XM considering that NavTraffic is not available here anyway. Unless perhaps you were planning for the future in the hopes that the NavTraffic service would be available soon....

[quote]In summary, get XM ! Toronto repeater coverage is perfect. You won't regret it.[/quote]Thanks for the feedback! :D
One can always dream about NAVTRAFFIC for Toronto but I'm guessing that won't happen anytime soon.

Actually, I drive a fair bit in the States and was thinking of activating it for upcoming road trips just to see how it works. Difference in price between the two units isn't that much considering how much you just spent for the D1.
[quote name="cable guy"]One can always dream about NAVTRAFFIC for Toronto but I'm guessing that won't happen anytime soon.

Actually, I drive a fair bit in the States and was thinking of activating it for upcoming road trips just to see how it works. Difference in price between the two units isn't that much considering how much you just spent for the D1.[/quote]Yep, makes perfect sense!

What is your model car that you put your D1 in? I just got the latest CNDV-60M East dvd and my neighbourhood which is about 5 years old is not on the maps. I did notice however that the 407 highway is on it, but am not sure if it was on the original 1.0 disc that came with the D1........

What disc do you have?
I've got mine in a Ford Freestyle, fits in nicely.

I'm using the original 1.0 disc that came with the unit, the 407's on it.
It took me about 10 days but last night I finally finished downloading the -60MT East Coast disc. Will burn it tonight and see how that works. I've heard that there isn't much of an update for Ontario but it's worth checking out.

Where'd you get your -60M disc ?
[quote name="cable guy"]I've got mine in a Ford Freestyle, fits in nicely.

I'm using the original 1.0 disc that came with the unit, the 407's on it.
It took me about 10 days but last night I finally finished downloading the -60MT East Coast disc. Will burn it tonight and see how that works. I've heard that there isn't much of an update for Ontario but it's worth checking out.

Where'd you get your -60M disc ?[/quote]I didn't have the patience to download the disc and ended up buying it off ebay for $55.00 .............

I guess I should have saved myself that money and just downloaded it instead.

I just checked ebay and the XM radio you have is going for about $150.00 brand new. Was that roughly how much you paid for yours?
[quote name="SilverGS"]How much did you pay for your D1? I got mine from a store in the US (not online), and I paid $900.00 for it. Awesome price![/quote]

that's a pretty good price, i paid mine used for about $925cad shipped to my door from ebay.