AVIC411.com

New Yorkers please help!!

I have a D3 and it always tells me to go through manhattan city whenever i drive from Queens NY back home to new jersey. I've looked at multiple routes and fast/slow options and they all directed me to the city eventually. Mapquest directs me to take Cross Island Pkwy to George Washington bridge then to NJ turnpike which is WAY easier and faster. I'm sorry if i offend anyone for saying this but manhattan city has the worst roads and traffics i can imagine. So my question is how do you guys deal with this? do you mapquest instead? The D3 seems like to avoid easy roads and freeways as much as possible and take me to the roads with tons of traffic lights for some strange reasons. Yea sure you can set roads to avoid if you know your way around but it isn't helpful for me.

edited for spelling

I am not offended at your dislike of Manhattan, but I am offended by your spelling of it. What you can do is set the AVIC to "Multiple Routes" and it will give you 5 different ways to go. Depending on where you live, it should give you the options of either going through Manhattan, the GWB, the Goethals, or the Outerbridge Crossing.

I don't think any Navi will give you the best route out of the city. Driving in the city is an organic thing. You have to accomodate for time of day (you can't turn off of some cross-town lanes), construction, etc. I garuntee half the stuff isn't reported to the news or xm so they wouldn't show up on the Nav.

The real question is from where in queens are you leaving from. there are plenty of ways back. Personally, i take the williamsburg bridge and cut down broome and i'm right in the holland. However, if it's prime time 8-10am or 4-7pm, then I'll jump on the 59th street bridge and either go cross town to the Lincoln or hit the FDR to the bridge. And if it's really bad, stay in the city for dinner and drinks because i'm SOL.

Queens is probably one of the most confusing street layouts i've ever seen. If you're on Northern, you have plenty of options. if you're way down the east side of it, just hop on the 59th st bridge. If it's giving you the cross island as an option, i'm assuming you were closer to LI. In that case then cross island to the throgs-neck/cross bronx will take you right to the bridge (highway only)...but that's if you're way out there...