AVIC411.com

AVIC Z2 - Ford Expedition - Accessories and Installation

Okay,

I've been researching and researching and the farther I go, the more confused I become....

Help!

I will PAY someone out here to give me the correct information and help me make the right choices. Whoever can consult and correctly guide me through this process will receive $50.00!(Contact me via e-mail if interested- higgdo@aol.com)

I want to buy and install an AVIC Z2 (I think)

Car:

2005 Ford Expedition / Eddie Bauer

w/ navigation system, overhead rear dvd player, rear controls, steering wheel controls, cd changer in armrest console, 8" midrange subwoofer and typical door speakers

Current cell phone: Blackberry Pearl 8000 (T-Mobile service)

Current iPod: 20 gig M# M9282LL w/ 3.1.1 software

Here are my concerns:

I plan on installing the following, given to me by my nephew:

(1) Orion 600D amp single channel (low pass crossover continuously variable / low pass frequency range is 30- 250 HZ) (power output @ 4 ohms is 250 x 1 and power output at 2 ohms is 400 x 1) watts,

(2) Kicker CVR 12" subs w/ dual 4ohm voice coils (Pmax watts= 400) frequency range is 25-500 HZ

The subs will be installed in a separated, sealed box.

The amp has 2 sets of speaker connections, I assume I wire one sub to each set.

Do I wire the voice coils in parallel (+ to + / - to -) for each sub and then wire each sub to each set of terminals on the amp to have the correct amount of resistance through the subwoofers for the given amplifier? Is this the correct way to set it up?

I plan on leaving the 8" midrange subwoofer installed and connecting it to the new AVIC Z2. Is this advisable given the above? How does it get wired to the head unit if you advise I keep it? Would it need another amp or does it have one built in?

Do I need to consider replacing the existing door speakers? If so, what are the sizes and what is recommended?

I would like to install a bypass to watch dvd and operate the navigation for my wife to use while my eyes are focused on the road, of course. hehe How is this done, can it be done and what do I need to do it?

I would like for my kids to be able to independently watch a dvd in the rear overhead dvd player with their wireless headphones on, while listening to music or whatever through the head unit and speakers.

AND I'd like the option to be able to have a dvd play on the head unit and on the rear overhead unit at the same time, while hearing the sound through the head unit and speakers.

Does this unit have inputs and outputs?

Can these options be done and what do I need to do it?

Can I hook up the existing cd changer to the head unit? What do I need and how does it get wired?

I would like to connect the existing steering wheel controls to the head unit. Will it work? What do I need to do this?

Can the rear controls also be hooked up to control the head unit? What do I need to do this?

Will my T-Mobile Blackberry work with the bluetooth module?

Do I need a trim ring for the AVIC Z2 to fit into the existing dash opening where the existing double din navigation unit is mounted? If so, where can I get one?

Will the AVIC Z2 fit correctly into the existing double din opening of my Expedition? Are any modifications required? If so, what are they? Do I need any special brackets or hardware? Do I need to cut or modify anything to make it fit?

Will my existing iPod work with the AVIC Z2? What accessories do I need to make it work?

Do I need any other cables or harnesses to hook up all of the above to the existing wiring within the vehilcle? What are the part numbers and where do I get them?

Given the above, am I better off with the Z1 instead of the Z2, or do I need to look for a specific manufacturing period for either unit? (In consideration of the bypass)

Will the existing navigation antenna work or do I need to use the Pioneer model? Does it come with the head unit?

Is up to date software included with the AVIC Z2?

Are there any other issues I need to prepare for or get parts for?

THANK YOU!

Don.

hey, first off i am no electronics genius(like some of the guys on the site), but i have a 2005 lincoln navigator(same example as a 2005 expedition). here is what i had done. avic z-1 with 2 wire bypass (i will be installing the z-2 update disk next week). all factory speakers removed and replaced with infiniti component speakers. new 10" infinit sub-woofer in custom fiberglass box. i initially left the stock sub-woofer hooked up, but it became a problem. the stock sub could not keep up with the rest of the system and became a weak spot in the system. i went back to the installer and he totally unhooked the factory sub. the factory sub is junk. i had the rear camera option/bluetooth phone option/sirius radio/pioneeer ipod dock/ all installed with the pioneer components. i have two amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub. i also had a compustar deluxe security package installed, and all windows tinted 15%. so far i have had zero issues with anything, and absolutely love my avic z-1. it is so awesome and looks so cool. my favorite is that i have full control of my ipod through the touch screen, and never touch my ipod, it is locked in the glove box. if you have any general questions i can help, but i can not get too technical, i have an absolutely incredible installer. see ya

Okay,

I've been researching and researching and the farther I go, the more confused I become....

Help!

I will PAY someone out here to give me the correct information and help me make the right choices. Whoever can consult and correctly guide me through this process will receive $50.00!(Contact me via e-mail if interested- higgdo@aol.com)

I want to buy and install an AVIC Z2 (I think)

Car:

2005 Ford Expedition / Eddie Bauer

w/ navigation system, overhead rear dvd player, rear controls, steering wheel controls, cd changer in armrest console, 8" midrange subwoofer and typical door speakers

Current cell phone: Blackberry Pearl 8000 (T-Mobile service)

Current iPod: 20 gig M# M9282LL w/ 3.1.1 software

Here are my concerns:

I plan on installing the following, given to me by my nephew:

(1) Orion 600D amp single channel (low pass crossover continuously variable / low pass frequency range is 30- 250 HZ) (power output @ 4 ohms is 250 x 1 and power output at 2 ohms is 400 x 1) watts,

(2) Kicker CVR 12" subs w/ dual 4ohm voice coils (Pmax watts= 400) frequency range is 25-500 HZ

The subs will be installed in a separated, sealed box.

The amp has 2 sets of speaker connections, I assume I wire one sub to each set.

Do I wire the voice coils in parallel (+ to + / - to -) for each sub and then wire each sub to each set of terminals on the amp to have the correct amount of resistance through the subwoofers for the given amplifier? Is this the correct way to set it up?

No if you wire them in parallel and then hook them up to the amp, the amp will see a 1 ohm load. Bad thing since the amp isn't stable to 1 ohm. So here's how to wire properly. vc=voice coil

Sub #1= + of vc#1 to + of amp. - of vc#1 to + of vc#2. - of vc#2 to - of amp.

Sub #2= + of vc#1 to + of amp. - of vc#1 to + of vc#2. - of vc#2 to - of amp.

I plan on leaving the 8" midrange subwoofer installed and connecting it to the new AVIC Z2. Is this advisable given the above? How does it get wired to the head unit if you advise I keep it? Would it need another amp or does it have one built in?

Wouldn't bother with it. Just leave it disconnected. The kickers are going to drown it out.

Do I need to consider replacing the existing door speakers? If so, what are the sizes and what is recommended?

Couldn't hurt. You have 6x8s all the way around. as for a recommendation. Something that sounds good to you.

I would like to install a bypass to watch dvd and operate the navigation for my wife to use while my eyes are focused on the road, of course. hehe How is this done, can it be done and what do I need to do it?

Check out a few of the threads on this.

I would like for my kids to be able to independently watch a dvd in the rear overhead dvd player with their wireless headphones on, while listening to music or whatever through the head unit and speakers.

AND I'd like the option to be able to have a dvd play on the head unit and on the rear overhead unit at the same time, while hearing the sound through the head unit and speakers.

Does this unit have inputs and outputs?

Can these options be done and what do I need to do it?

Yes it does have the ability to do what you're looking for. I don't really know for sure how to retain the factory overhead in a ford that new though.

Can I hook up the existing cd changer to the head unit? What do I need and how does it get wired?

Nope, sorry you're beat on this one. Only works with the factory radio.

I would like to connect the existing steering wheel controls to the head unit. Will it work? What do I need to do this?

Yep. Pac-swips

Can the rear controls also be hooked up to control the head unit? What do I need to do this?

Sorta, since you want to do the steering wheel controls too, you'd need a second Pac-swips. Then you'dd have to splice the 2 of those together into one plug to plug into the back of the avic. To be honest I wouldn't bother with the rear controls.

Will my T-Mobile Blackberry work with the bluetooth module?

Couldn't say

Do I need a trim ring for the AVIC Z2 to fit into the existing dash opening where the existing double din navigation unit is mounted? If so, where can I get one?

95-5026 is the dash kit you'll need. 70-5520av is the harness you'll need. Where to get them locally any decent car stereo place will either have them or be able to order them for you. If you choose the internet route just google those part numbers.

Will the AVIC Z2 fit correctly into the existing double din opening of my Expedition? Are any modifications required? If so, what are they? Do I need any special brackets or hardware? Do I need to cut or modify anything to make it fit?

See above. Nothing needs to be cut. You "might" need to put a 3k resistor on the blue/white wire on the 70-5520av to prevent turnon thump. Those are readily availible at radiohack.

Will my existing iPod work with the AVIC Z2? What accessories do I need to make it work?

Yep cdib100ii

Do I need any other cables or harnesses to hook up all of the above to the existing wiring within the vehilcle? What are the part numbers and where do I get them?

See the above answers. Oh and power wire, remote, and rcas for the amp. I'd say 4 gauge minimum.

Given the above, am I better off with the Z1 instead of the Z2, or do I need to look for a specific manufacturing period for either unit? (In consideration of the bypass)

z1 bypass is known and certain the z2 isn't yet.

Will the existing navigation antenna work or do I need to use the Pioneer model? Does it come with the head unit?

No factory navi antenna will not work. Use the pioneer, and yes it comes with he headunit if you buy it NEW.

Is up to date software included with the AVIC Z2?

Yep

Are there any other issues I need to prepare for or get parts for?

That I know of no, but then again you never know.

THANK YOU!

Welcome

Don.

Batman

Thanks everyone for the help...

So far, I've ordered (2) pac-swips for the steering wheel and rear controls. I've also ordered the Metra 70-5520av and 70-5520 cables and the 95-5026 dash kit.

I've got Streetwires #4 wire for the amp, fuse kit, battery terminals, 16 ga. remote turn-on wire and 12 ga speaker wire for the subs. I still need the 3k resistor for the amp turn-on...

All I need to do is decide which unit to get.... Z1 or Z2

and I still need to figure out if my Blackberry Pearl w/ T-Mobile service will work on the Bluetooth adaptor.

I saw an interesting post on installing the Z1 update software into the Z2 to allow for the bypass operations. Seems like the jury is still out on the subject but the author has tested it and he believes it works well.

THANKS!

Don.