AVIC411.com

Trouble writing 2006 60M DVD's

Ok, bought "remanufactured" DVD's of the new 2006 60M maps from eBay. Worked for about two days, then started getting errors. Scraping sound when the DVD is spinning and then an error asking me to insert the proper disc. The other disk (west) works. Probably the summer heat.

These disks are probably pirated, stick on label. I thought they were legal because it said remanufactured, but right now, I don't care. I just want my Avic-D1 working again. The original disks won't work anymore, wrong firmware version.

My computer DVD player is a 16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL drive.

I copied all files off the problem map DVD to my computer doing a windows drag and drop. No errors. 6.x gig transfered over.

I tried to image the DVD with Nero, but get disk read errors.

I tried to copy the DVD with Ner, but get disk read errors.

So what do I need to burn all the 6.x gig of data to a new DVD to see if that works? Do I need to get a DL dvd? I thought DL DVD's used the top and the bottom of the DVD. How can the map DVD I have now work with a label on it?

I would prefer to image and burn the DVD instead of buring a data DVD, but I'll do what I gotta do.

Any hints, help please on what I need to do to image the map DVD I bought off eBay, programs I need, media, etc.

Thanks.
Well, using Alcohol 120%, I managed to image my East DVD. I then burned it to a DVD+R DL. From what I can tell, it seems to be working on my Avic, but i only gave it a few minute test.

At least now, I have a backup image file on my hard drive in case I need it again.

When I tried to make a backup of the West DVD, I could not read it all. I can't even copy all of the files off the DVD via Windows Copy command, so the DVD is defective.

Beware if buying DVD's off eBay. I thought remanufactured meant that the DVD's were legal, but I guess I got just plain old pirated copies.

I tried to revert back to my orginal set of DVD's, but I could not use them at all. Probably because of the firmware upgrade. I wonder if it is even possible to revert back to a previous firmware ... if there is a trick to do that or not.

As long as i don't travel to the west end of the continent, I guess I am ok for now. I hope my copy of the DVD I made last more than two days.
Hey thanks for the heads up!

I also bought one of these remanufactured DVD's off ebay and have used it for a couple of days so far.

I guess I should make an image of it and create a backup huh?

I don't want to end up with these errors you ran into.........

Can you please explain the process you used to create your backup disc?

I have never used Alcohol before.

Please be as detailed as you can. Thanks!