AVIC411.com

D3 and 2ohm Speakers

In the installation manual it states that the D3 cannot be hooked up to any 2ohm speakers. I am putting the D3 in and I plan on replacing my stock speakers soon, but not right away. Anyway, my stock speakers are 2ohm. Is there a possibilty that I can damage the D3 if I hook it up to the 2 ohm speakers??

Thanks

Do you have factory component speakers (a woofer and tweeter) where each one is 2ohm? In that case, there is probably a crossover box where there is a 4ohm input from the amp. However, if you have coaxial speakers, where the tweeter and woofer are built in to each other, then you may need to replace them. Most, if not all, after market decks are designed to carry 4-8ohm loads.

My d2 has been running 2 ohm front channel and 4 ohm rear channel because of how my stock system is. I also had an alpine before this and never had a single issue. Alpine has been running for 5 years and just moved to my other car which is the same way and the d2 has been in for a year.

My d2 has been running 2 ohm front channel and 4 ohm rear channel because of how my stock system is. I also had an alpine before this and never had a single issue. Alpine has been running for 5 years and just moved to my other car which is the same way and the d2 has been in for a year.

You've been lucky. To the OP, it's a bad idea for the reason shotgun_customs said.

How can you tell how many ohms the stock speakers are?

I drive a 2005 Kia Sorento LX (no separate amp like in the EX model). Is there an installer here that can check it out for me? I've had my D3 installed for about a month now with no problems.

There are 4" or 5" speakers in the bottom of the door panels and small tweeters in the middle of the door (near the side mirror controls).

Thanks.

The midrange and tweet are wired to a crossover network in series. So the tweeter and woofer may each be 2ohm, but they are wired in series so it presents a 4ohm load to the head unit, which is what you want. You should be fine.

When wiring speakers, putting two in parallel halves the ohms. When run in serial config (ala. a crossover), you double the ohms.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

^^Thanks^^ Makes sense. Ive learned a little bit about the ohm thing from wiring subs. (2) 4ohm speaks wired in series achieves a 8ohm load on the amp.

I just wasnt sure if my head unit had seperate dedicated channels to the front tweeter and driver. It makes sense that they would be wired through a crossover, just wasnt sure if the crossover was in the head unit or outside.

Thanks for the help though!

MOD EDIT

Fixed your numbers. 2 4 ohm speakers in series presents an 8 ohm load. 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel presents a 2 ohm load.