AVIC411.com

'06 VW GTI and D3

Hello all, I have been researching into installing a DVD/Audio/GPS unit into my 2006 Volkswagen GTI for a bit now and I think I've decided on the D3. It seems to have the features I want for the best price. The decision boiled down to the Kenwood DNX7100 and the D3. I am curious if someone could give me a bit of guidance as to what I would need to install the D3 in my car.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am going by what I've read around here:

The D3 unit itself

99-9011 Kit from Metra (does that include the antenna adapter and harness?)

The iPod connector wire - CD-I200

The BT adapter - CD-BTB200

And the technical know how to install myself or find someone.

My last question is in regards to the navigation aspect of the D3. A post on this board leads me to believe that it is inferior to other navigation units like the Kenwood. Is this a correct statement, or is it a matter of opinion?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Well from the videos/what the other guy has posted about the kenwood the nav system with garmin is the best. $75 map updates and free firmware updates using a sd card.

As far as the 99-9011. I doubt that it has the wire harness and ant adapter. Oh yea, don't hook up the amp turn on wire on the vehicle side of the harness :wink:

The navi is all a matter of opinion. I've installed probably 50 or so D3s and not one of those has come back complaining the navi sucks.

No the 99-9011 is just the kit. You'll still need a harness and antenna adaptor. If you have steering wheel controls you'll also need a pac swi-can and a pac swi-ps.

Wow thanks for the quick replys. I forgot to mention about the steering wheel controls but those were the 2 items I looked at. What are the chances that your run of the mill Best Buy or Tweeter would be able to install all of these things (and more importantly have them all work)?

My roomate has done a lot to his car and could probably help me out with the bypass and installation. I'm not sure how I'd feel if he messed up as I can't yell at him without being kicked out :P. He's installed his own "carputer" and a whole mess of dials and gauges for air pressure and his turbo engine; I'd imagine he could handle a stereo removal.

Ok, today is my install date for my 07 Jetta. Same interior and dash as your GTI. Do NOT get the metra dash kit. The kit will not fit properly. Look at this thread from VW Vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3145877

Get the Scosche dash kit, it fits perfect AND has the proper factory smooth texture, unlike the BestKits dash kit for the GTi which is rough.

The Scosche dash kit can be found here at Sonix: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8186_Scosche+VW2317B+-+VW2317.html

VW2317B.jpg

Also the antenna adapter can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4440_Scosche+VWA3+-+VWA3B.html

And most importantly, the wiring harness. As you may or may not know, our VWs do NOT have a switched 12v ACC line in the stock harness, nor does it have the orange Illumination wire that dims the head unit when the head lights are on. This means that those ordinary harnesses for VWs will not give us the 12v switched line or illumination. Also, to get the VSS wire for the GPS (And with the AVICs it is important to have this connected to get the most accurate positioning) you can not tap a VSS wire behind the gauge cluster in many 06s and all 07s. That means in order to get the most out of your AVIC, you gotta buy the Pioneer CA-R-PI.221 VW/Seat/Skoda Steering Wheel Remote Adaptor. I got mine in the mail yesterday from Incarexpress in the UK. This adaptor is not sold anywhere in the US right now so I had to import it. Check it out here: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CARPI221

You can not use their online ordering to order internationally, so just email them at sales@incarexpress.co.uk . It costs about 54 pounds shipped. That's $109US. Totally worth it. This harness gives you speed pulse wire, 12V ACC, illumination, REVERSE, AND full steering wheel controls for Pioneer head units and VWs. Tell them what you want, give them your shipping info, you want it standard airmail, and make sure you open up a free Google checkout account in order to pay them. It took two weeks from emailing them to getting it to my door. The item was back ordered and did not ship out until last Wednesday. Their communication was EXCELLENT and it took four business days to get from england to New Jersey. Do yourself a favor and get this adapter. It will save you from having to cut and run wires to your headlight switch for illumination, your car's computer/tail lights for reverse signal, your cigarette lighter for 12v switched, and gives you the VSS signal which is quite important.

Basically, it's like this, if your not installing a subwoofer and you are getting this adapter, you will not have to splice into a single factory wire or rip apart the whole dash. You just take out the 7 torx20 screws, plug in the nav system, mount the gps and your done. 20 minute install tops. Well, the VW dealership just called and my car is ready to get picked up from oil change.

Hope this all helps, I'm going to be installing my D3, iPod, XM, and Bluetooth in about an hour and will have pics.

• 1 month later...

Do you have to hook up to the ignition wire also?

Thats what the audio shop guy told me when I tried to get them to lower their quote. (said the ignition wire isn't behind the audio):?

So if I want to do this myself,

D3

Scosche dash kit

antenna adapter

CA-R-PI.221 VW/Seat/Skoda Steering Wheel Remote Adaptor

Are those four things all that I need?

Also, is the bypass method different for CA-R-PI.221?

I've never done anything like this before. Do you guys think this is something I can take on?

Sorry for all those questions but I'll appreciate every reply!

All the wiring you will ever need is in the CARP adapter. The bypass is exactly the same as not using the adapter. The CARP has 12v switched, constant, VSS wire, illumination, etc. No splicing of factory wiring. I put it in myself, it was easy enough. Depends on how comfortable you are with opening your dash and installing car stereos. The AVIC is not much different than a regular cd player. It's just bigger and there's a few more wires in the harness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
All the wiring you will ever need is in the CARP adapter. The bypass is exactly the same as not using the adapter. The CARP has 12v switched, constant, VSS wire, illumination, etc. No splicing of factory wiring. I put it in myself, it was easy enough. Depends on how comfortable you are with opening your dash and installing car stereos. The AVIC is not much different than a regular cd player. It's just bigger and there's a few more wires in the harness.
using the carp will u still have steering wheel controls & have it work with the mfd?