AVIC411.com

Static noise being heard!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
[quote name="Cirbirus"]One thing to check would be to make sure you have the unit grounded to the chassis of the vehicle not the ground from the wiring harness.[/quote]

bigjimmy428,
did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. I revived this in the other topic too. Did you ever check the ground? I know I am grounded to the harness, not the chassis.

Cirbirus, Why would that make a difference?
It's been a while since I was in school so please forgive me if I get something wrong and Ducati can correct me where I go off base but here is why:

Cars don't use a real ground they use a floating ground, the chassis acts as ground. This means that ground might not be zero voltage like a true ground would be. That's fine as long as everything agrees on what level ground is at.

Connecting directly to the chassis makes sure you have as a good connection to the ground as you can get. If you go through the wiring harness you don't really know if that wire goes directly to ground. It might be going through some other device first which could alter the ground reference.

Case in point: I had interferance when using my Xbox until I grounded it directly to the chassis.
Duely noted. Thanks! I will try it (it just makes me mad because I cut off the original spade to solder into the harness, and now I have to pull it all out again to do this.) I have received no other suggestions on what this could be... When looking for a ground place... Any suggestions, or just metal... :roll:

Any suggestions on where the VSS wire (w/Bose) is or the ILL = TNS+ in my mazda service diagram.
I just installed the Kenwood Rear camera today. I immediately noticed the static upon button pushes. I grounded the camera electronics under a different lug. The radio is grounded through the connector supplied ground.

I'll have to mess around with this a little to find out where the issue is. Not for a few weeks though as I'll be on travel.

Hope you figure out what the deal is before I return!
For ground I just found a thick bolt going into the metal of the car near the radio and hooked up the ground wire to that. Before doing so I did check to make sure that spot was really ground by putting a multimeter on some bare metal a ways apart from where I was working and checked the continuity.

Ironically I didn't test the wiring harness's ground when hooking up Ducati's flasher. Silly me. My "ground" wire went no where and made eveything very, very unhappy. I had the radio's ground wire hooked up directly to the chassis of the car but I stupidly didn't think to make sure everything else was connected to that same ground.

It's not a bad idea to take a small piece of sand paper and rub the surface where you expect the washer from the ground wire to touch. This will clean the area of any corrosion and will make sure you get a good connection. I won't go into the oxidation of dissimilar metals in the presense of an electrial current because we don't really need to worry about it with such small currents but rest assured the subject is facinating... not.
Thanks. Same here though, I will not be able to test for a couple days... I find it strange though that it would only be distorted on that particular action, and not every sound... (if it was a bad ground) but I will give it a try, and let all know as soon as I can... Thanks for the help!