AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 Install HELP!! 03 f150

Hey guys,

I just ordered my z1 and plan to do the install myself this weekend. I have a couple of questions for you guys who have done this before.

I used to have an avic-n2 that circuit city installed for me. after only having it about a year, some lowlife broke into my truck and stole it. The kicker was he more or less just grabbed the unit and yanked it out, wires and all. I had to have the dash rewired just to put the stock radio back in. CC never installed any bracing or anything which made it easy to just rip out. I am wondering what is the best way to secure this thing into my dash so it can't be easily removed.

The other question is I know I need to hook up the vehicle speed sensor, and the reverse sensor wires. Are these wires in the radio harness or do I need to find them under the dash somewhere? I have an 03 F150 Crew Cab King Ranch.

If your stock system had the speed sensitive steering then the VSS wire is in the stock wiring harness, probably grey with a black stripe. Can't help with the reverse wire on an 03, but the one in my 06 is in the passenger kick panel. Check out the12volt.com for wiring diagrams or see the posts over at ford-trucks.com.

I had the same dash in my '01 Expy, just get the double din mounting kit and it should secure it pretty well, or you can add a metal strap as well. If I remember correctly I had to do some trimming of the inner dash (the black part under the bezel) to get everything to fit right. It was definitely a tight fit.

I just got back from CC and they told me that they didn't make an double din adaptor for my dash and that my dash would have to be CUT in order to fit the avic-Z1. Can this be right? I have a 03 f150 King Ranch.

I am hoping to do the install myself so I can install the video bypass but if I have to hack up my dash then maybe I should just leave it to the pros.

i think you do have to cut the dash to get that unit to fit. (could be wrong, been wrong before.) but if i remember correctly, you need to trim the upper and lower plastic in the radio hole.

as far as mounting, i have used backstrap before. i have taken it and screwed it in facing the front of the radio, slid it in the dash, bent it around and screwed it into the dash.

I did some research-

The first thing I uncovered is that no one thinks a z1 will fit in and 03 f150- what I mean by no one is crutchfield, cc, bb or any other automated vehicle fit guide.

However- I have uncovered quite a few 03 f150 z1 installs that, in the picture, appear to be spot on with the dash.

My inclination- circuit city typed in the make/model/year and the system said it was a no go. If you want to do it yourself as stated, pull it out of the box and see if it fits. If I am correct your truck had the standard double din stock radio that all late model fords have. Chances are you don't need much of a dash kit at all.

Take your dash apart, pull the radio out of the box, and see what you have. I'd say, if needed, and 03 ford dash kit is going to work. I know my 04 ranger, 06 f150, 06 fusion, and 07 mustang have all had the same size dash opening and utilized the same kit. 04 was a big year of change for fords, but after looking at pictures the size and shape of the radios really didn't change, just the features.

I'm waiting to hear from someone exactly how they mounted their z1 in their 03 f150. I will let you know their response.

Most of the typical ford 03 and older and some of the newer one too that get mounted without bolts/screws(meaing ones that slip in and snap into place) The plastic around the radio will need to be trimmed down a little bit, and as far as mounting the acutal z1 into the dash and securing it...should be interesting. The only thing I can think of would be to have to fiberglass it into the opening. I don't think you can do it without doing somesort of modifications. Had it been an 04 or newer with the brackets on the sides and an actual double din opening, you could throw that bitch in there in 20 minutes.

Thanks for all the info guys,

I decided to call Best Buy and see what they had to say. They said they can do the entire install including the ipod adaptor and my sub woofer for 270 including parts and labor. He said he didn't think much modification would be required but if it needed to be done they could do it. I went ahead and made an appointment for saturday and will post some pics once I get it done.

Metra doesn't make the kit, I had to order mine online. The maker was American International part number FM-K552. Like I said in my post above you have to trim the inner dash mounting location under the bezel cover a bit but not much. But $270 for the install sounds like a good deal. If you get there and they tell you it will be more for harness and kits walk out.

If the BB thing doesn't pan out let me know, you can have my kit. I took it out of my truck before I traded the car in. Good luck!

Metra doesn't make the kit, I had to order mine online. The maker was American International part number FM-K552. Like I said in my post above you have to trim the inner dash mounting location under the bezel cover a bit but not much. But $270 for the install sounds like a good deal. If you get there and they tell you it will be more for harness and kits walk out.

If the BB thing doesn't pan out let me know, you can have my kit. I took it out of my truck before I traded the car in. Good luck!

They do make a kit, though they don't list it as working for that articular vehicle. It's a 99-5805. Have used several times in the past to help "pretty up" the install. Yeah it's a lot of cutting and test fitting to make it work. BTW you're getting a deal. Normally for a hack in like that I charge 300 + parts.

While this isn't the same vehicle. The principle is the same. Since the sub dash is very similar.

http://avic411.com/forum/download.php?id=1653

According to the guy at best buy they have done quite a few of these and it won't be a problem. I have a feeling that this guy doesn't know what he is talking about though and soon after I drop my truck off I will get a call telling me they can't do it. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes. The Z1 should arrive today so I am psyched. Its been about a year since my n2 got ripped off so I can't wait to have a pioneer system nav system again. (stupid thief stole the head unit but didn't know about the brain so he got a worthless deck)