AVIC411.com

For those upgraded Z1 -> Z2 - Did it fix mapping issues?

I have a Z1, and many (10%) POI locations are not correct on the map. It's on the right road, but the mapping system is not putting it on the right location. And I don't mean off by a few feet, we are talking miles.

Has anyone that has completed the Z1 -> Z2 upgrade with the upgrade discs noticed any improvement in the accuracy of the POI's?

I find it useless to create a Navigation system that doesn't even place an address at the right location on the street.

This was discussed years ago when the Z1 first came out, but I'm curious if it's been fixed with the Z2 (and/or the Z1 map updates).

Thanks,

-Jeff

same here. My wife is so upset with how wrong the Z1 sometimes gets (about 50% of the time she uses it) in bay area that, we don't even talk about it anymore.

On our other car (06 Civic hybrid with built-in Nav - using latest NavTech maps), the location/direction is spot-on.

I was telling that the Z1 update will fix the map issues - but now I am tired of telling her to wait. If it was going to be her way, she would rip out the Z1 the next second and jump on it a few times before throwing it into trash-bin. That said, I still love the Z1 - for its coolness (so many functions together)....oh well.

I have the Z2 which should be the same maping as the Z1 update. In my little driving so far, it's 50/50. My street now goes though which it doesn't and didn't on the Z1. My driveway is now an extension of the cross street which ends at the end of my street. Also the map has lost the"streets" in my work parking lots. On the other hand it now knows there is an airport in the big open space that the Z1 had. As for POIs the ones here seem to be where they should.

I will say that my orginal NAV system had the same mistakes with my street when I updated from the 2005 data disk to the 2006 data disk. So it's just the database. Too bad you can't use an update feature on the unit its self.

• 6 months later...

Here is another thread revived from the past.

I wanted to provide closure for this since I started the thread. I recently found an Avic-Z2 at a nearby Circuit City (Finally!), and was able to check the POI that my (then) current Z1 had in the completely wrong location.

All three (I know not many, but still 100% success ratio) POI's that were incorrect in the Avic-Z1 were correct on the Z2. So I finally made the jump and upgraded my Z1 to Z2 using an old Toshiba drive I had laying around. So far so good, no lock-ups, but I'm not in an extremely cold or hot (yet) area, so long term plan is to buy an Automotive drive for $126, and copy my new Z2 content to it. I also haven't been on a long drive (> 40 minutes).

I took the opportunity to install the Bluetooth adapter while wiring up the 2 wire bypass (I was using the old DucatiBoy bypass). Removing the Z1 in a W203 mercedes is not a fun experience, so I figured I might as well get something else out of it. Only issue I have now is when people call I don't have any ring tone, just the radio mutes. I'll ask about that in a different thread. I now have an Avic-Z2 with custom background image, and no overlaying copyright images. Very nice.

Thanks to all who invested time in the Z2 upgrade/bypassed image!! Great work!

-Jeff