AVIC411.com

It all started a few weeks ago when my n2 began turning on and off randomly. I believed that it had to do with me leaving the face attached on a hot day. Since then I have removed it and stored it in a cooler place. It had a few problems since but nothing major. Today it worked fine all morning. I forgot to remove it again and now it will not turn on at all. I also had a problem with my alarm today which drained my battery which necessatated a jump. Could all of these problems be related? I checked the fuse, the wiring , and now I'm pissed. I need to use the unit next week to drive down south. It figures, the one time I could justify buying it to the wife, It breaks down. Thanks for any input.

just out of curiosity do you have any idea as to what fuse could be effecting the radio's power if not the radio fuse itself. Is there a larger fuse that handles a group? I know it is definitely not the radio fuse, i replaced it with a brand new one(twice to make sure i didnt have duds). I will check the others in a little while(when my son passes out). I know that my alarm problem caused the ignition to turn on and off repeatedly for who knows how long today at least a half hour, could it have shorted out from the rapid on/off cycle? I'll get back to you . Thanks

I checked the fuses and all are in working order. I pulled unit out and checked voltage on yellow and black wires running into black box got around 5volts if i remember correctly. If it was a fuse I would get 0 right? I don't know what to do. It was so sudden. Are there any tests I can run that may diagnose this issue? The nearest pioneer repair spot is about 15 miles away, but the guy seems like a dousche. He gave me an attitude when I called about the thing turning on and off on its own. I buried my wires like a pro, and he wants me to dig them all out which I won't do unless its completely necessary. I need help Losing my head.

Bro if you used a volt meter, on DC volt checking, and your black and yellow wire read 5 volts!! you got a battery problem PD. the voltage is WAY LOW in your truck.

If you have you meter on OHM's then 5 OHM's for a fuse is fine, thats normal resistance in the meter leads.

5 Volts, = BIG problem in little durango Ville

Sounds like a battery, or alternator, Poss the both! bad voltage regulator, Hot days you turn on A/c and use evrything else at once, Hotter the wire, the harder for electrons to flow, more resistance = BIG PROBLEM..If voltage regulator...

You need MECH help

This morning I pulled it out again and tested it . the 12v.ignition(red wire)is getting 13.5volts. The 12v. constant is getting 5.1v (yellow wire). does this mean the unit is a having issues? COuld it be the brain? I'm at a loss. All of the other electronics in the vehicle are fully functional. The battery is reading 13.5 volts. Why is it just the nav thats messed up. Could it be the on off beat down it caught yesterday during my alarm mishap?

A severely corroded fuse could be your problem too. I've seen that happen on a couple occasions where the legs of a fuse were coroded to the point the voltage would drop.

and 5 ohms resistance is not normal for meter probes. A good set of probes should meter less an an ohm of resistance.

Another thing to do is to hook the power probe up to the constant wire and ground the negative probe to the battery. If you're still reading 5 volts then it's a fuse problem. If you read 12 volts or more, then you have a bad ground. Which could also cause your problem.

Well I was running the suggested tests and heres what happened. My battery was shot it died and wouldnt start the car. I proceeded to buy new. I cleaned up all of my connections under the hood. Double checked all of the fuses. Once that was out of the way I volt tested those wires again the red 12v ignition is still perfect at 12.5v and 13.5 when running. The yellow constant is showing 5.0v and then it starts slowly elevating. what could cause this? At one point it got up to 12.5 so I attempted to hook up the n2 and it wouldn't turn on . I checked the voltage and it was back at 5v and rising. is it a bad line or what. I can't figure it out .

I checked the continuity of all the small automotive fuses in the small block in car and big block under hood with a multimeter set for ohms. I physically removed and checked a few. I checked the radio one a multitude of times replacing it at least 4 times to be sure. Others that had inconsistant read outs were checked, replaced and checked again. I'm wondering if during the melee of my alarm issue if when i was grabbing for the valet button under the dash i might have somehow effected that wire in its path to the back of the n2. If it is a big fuse I dont know how to check them or how to find out which one may have a bearing on this issue. Any ideas?

Depends on the gauge of wire you're going to run.

18 gauge 10amp

16 gauge 15amp

14 gauge 20amp

12 gauge 30amp

If I were doing it, I'd run 14 or 12, this way you have plenty of availible room for any addons you might want. XM, sirius, ipod, etc etc.