AVIC411.com

debating between d3 or z2

ok guys im lookin at gettin a nav setup for my 02 audi a4, now money is not a factor here, here is what im looking at getting is either the d3 or the z2, i will be getting a xm unit and ipod adapter with it as well, the ipod functionality is my most important item to me though, ive heard the d3 is better than the z2 as far as the ipod functionality is concerned, but i like the z2 better because im terrible with cd's or dvd's and i like the idea of hd based nav because i wont have to mess with a nav dvd, which i can see becoming destroyed quickly with my track record.. i could see myself tossing it in my glovebox carelessly or something to that effect and well that wouldnt be cool, i can deal with messing up a movie but not with my nav cd getting screwed up, anyhow as far as how i use my ipod, im not really the type that goes through song by song, i play albums and playlists, so i want to know how the menu based system is. can i go in and select albums and then select the album i want, or is it rather difficult. i havnt seen the ipod functionality on these at all, and i went to stereo shop other day and they didnt have a z2 with a ipod hookup to it, and well those guys will say whatever you want them to and i just want it straight. i know this post is kinda long winded and might seem confusing, but basically i need to know what it is that people dont like about the z2 ipod interface and if it will suit my needs.

if iPod functionality is most important, as you said, go with the D3. If you are concerned about scratching up nav dvds, do what most of us do, and simply burn a copy of the disc, and use the copy in the D3 while the original disc is safely at home.

hey man,

I was in the same boat as you...here's the thread I made: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9091

Anyway, I bit the bullet and splurged for the z2. I couldn't be happier. Although I had some installation/settings kinks to work out at first, but I think I have everything perfected now.

Although I've only used it on display, the d3 felt like a toy while the z2 felt like a machine. The 7 inch screen is a huge bonus. And you can beat fast hard drive navigation while having the CD slot free.

The ipod issue doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Just remember, playlists are your friend. The thing that bugs me most about the ipod interface is starting from the top of the song list everytime you search, no matter where you are currently in your song list.

yah i dont ever do indivdual song search, i had a alpine deck in my previous car with ipod intergration, and it was perfect for me, all i ever do is playlist or albums, and then if im looking for a specific song in the album i will seek to that track like you normally would with a cd, so if this integration factor is good enough i will probably spring for the z2, i dont know im really on the fence on this one. the on screen graphics for the z2 look alot better and it just seem to be a higher end unit. but i dont wanna buy this thing and be disappointed. wish there was a way i could play with the ipod integration on one before i buy, also how is the bluetooth on it, ive heard the d3 has better BT as well?

The BT on the Z series apparently is practically useless. A lot of Z owners have had numerous problems with it and there does not seem to be an easy fix. The BT own the D3 is nearly flawless. Also, look into the N4. Not quite out yet but this may be my next unit and im a happy D3 owner that went with it over the Z series.

• 2 months later...