AVIC411.com

Z2- background noise

I have a general install question. I installed a Z2 in a honda element and have installed an amp for the 4 speakers. I also have a separate amp for a sub. I am getting tons of background noise in the speakers (especially whenever I step on the gas, etc). I realize that is a basic install question that is probably not Z2 specific, but hope you can help me out. Thanks!

well you have what is called a "ground loop" - there are a couple of general fixes for it, but every case is different

first - make sure everything is grounded at the same place, like your amps and sometimes even your HU should be grounded to the same bolt

then make sure you use solder connections when ever you are "tapping" anything - and not crimp connectors and definatly not t-splice connectors

then make sure your amps aren't turned up too high - if you need to, turn up the volume on your HU and turn down you amps

and the last resort is getting some "ground loop isolators" from radio shack - they just go in between the signal from your HU and your amps.. but there is alot of debate on whether they degrade the sound or not, i say they do

hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks. I've tried putting everything on the same ground, but am still getting background noise and it's worse when I turn on the headlights.

As a sidenote, everything was originally working well with no background noise, however I hadn't yet installed the sub itself. The speaker wire for the sub had power running to it and touched a piece of metal as I was about to hook up the sub, causing a loud pop over the speakers. That's when the background noise started, and now it won't stop.

Any other suggestions?