AVIC411.com

Need help with reverse Camera....

I just got a Kenwood rear view camera hooked up to my D3 and it doesn't seen to work when I try and put it in rear view mode. The Camera works fine when I put the car in reverse, but when I am driving or parked and try and switch to rear view mode all I get is a black screen. I played with all the settings to make sure everything was OK, checked to make sure the camera setting is on, but still no luck. I asked the installer if they hooked it up right and they said that there is 3 wires to connect, one to reverse, one to accessory and a ground. They claim that they have connected it right but still no luck. They also don't know what the problem is and said they are looking into it.

Anyone here have any idea on what could be wrong?

I just got a Kenwood rear view camera hooked up to my D3 and it doesn't seen to work when I try and put it in rear view mode. The Camera works fine when I put the car in reverse, but when I am driving or parked and try and switch to rear view mode all I get is a black screen. I played with all the settings to make sure everything was OK, checked to make sure the camera setting is on, but still no luck. I asked the installer if they hooked it up right and they said that there is 3 wires to connect, one to reverse, one to accessory and a ground. They claim that they have connected it right but still no luck. They also don't know what the problem is and said they are looking into it.

Anyone here have any idea on what could be wrong?

Probably the camera power wire is hooked up to the reverse lights in your car. The camera itself is only receiving power when the vehicle is in reverse and the reverse lights are on. Thus, you get a picture when the vehicle is in reverse but not when in park or driving.

I don't know anything about different models of cameras, but if there are 3 wires, it sounds like maybe the camera is designed to only switch on when there is power going to the backup lights. While they may not have technically done anything wrong, they didn't do it right. If I did the install myself, I would tap into the remote turn on, or if that's unavailable, the accessory lead. Ask them to do that.

I don't know anything about different models of cameras, but if there are 3 wires, it sounds like maybe the camera is designed to only switch on when there is power going to the backup lights. While they may not have technically done anything wrong, they didn't do it right. If I did the install myself, I would tap into the remote turn on, or if that's unavailable, the accessory lead. Ask them to do that.

Some camera's (mine included) say to hook to the reverse light power wire right in the instructions (i just checked). I have heard that it could damage the camera to receive power all of the time, although mine did not say anything about that.

I just mention it because the installer may have simply followed the instructions that came with the camera.

What about resetting the head Unit. The owners manual says that you have to reset the head unit any time you install another product that connects to the Head Unit. I asked the installer about this and they say that it won't make a difference. Did you guys have your head Unit reset?

Can't run it off of the amp turn on...not enough juice!!! What I did on mine is run an acc wire with a switch back to the rear...then add a relay and connect it to the reverse signal wire so that i can turn it on and off whenever i want..and if it is off and i put it into reverse it kicks on!

I used to have it powered all the time but it would start to get all fuzzy and shit if it would be powered on for more than like 5 minutes.

Can't run it off of the amp turn on...not enough juice!!! What I did on mine is run an acc wire with a switch back to the rear...then add a relay and connect it to the reverse signal wire so that i can turn it on and off whenever i want..and if it is off and i put it into reverse it kicks on!

I used to have it powered all the time but it would start to get all fuzzy and shit if it would be powered on for more than like 5 minutes.

What kind of Camera do you have? I am thinking now that maybe the Camera which I have, the Kenwood, is only meant to be powered on when the car is in reverse as was mentioned above.

What kind of Camera do you have? I am thinking now that maybe the Camera which I have, the Kenwood, is only meant to be powered on when the car is in reverse as was mentioned above.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/646261/vtl300.html

This is the one I have. Love it! Comes in chrome, too. Mounts with bolts for theft security. Good night resolution and durability. I had my installer flip the camera upsidedown so it could be mounted on the bottom. See pic...

HTH

post-10644-12872752892446_thumb.jpg