AVIC411.com

So... Am I screwed?

I just had my d3 installed today (2008 Altima Coupe) and the installer told me he couldn't do the bypass for me (said it was for liability reasons, which I understand). Anyway, he left a portion of the parking brake wire near the fuse box for easy access so I could bypass on my own... unfortunately, I'm not sure what he used for the harness in to the d3. I wanted to retain my steering wheel controls so he ordered the part from pac and then in the back of the d3 is a black plug - the original is still in the box. Am I going to have to pull everything out and rewire the original harness in order to do the bypass? The wires in the one being used appear to be in different positions and there are no empty spots to move anything.

There should be no empty spots in the black plug. The white one with the rca outputs has the empty spot that needs to be grounded. What you want from the black plug is the one that, assuming the install was done by the book, is connected to the parking brake switch power wire. If the installer told you that he left the wire there for you to ground yourself, I would definately verify exactly what he did, or better yet, just look myself to see where the wire runs, and if connected, disconnect it. Then continue with the bypass.

Ah, ok, cool... Thanks. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I looked over a few of the tutotrials and just had it in my head that the place where the pin was changed was the one that plugged directly in to the unit. Then when I saw the harness in the box I assumed it was something different than what I saw on here (I'm flashing back to my Jr. High teacher asking me what happens when you assume...).

There are two plugs that plug into the unit. The black one has all the power, illumination, speaker connections, and the parking brake . The white has the rca outs and the infamous mute wire. I currently don't have an amp installed, but I have to use both plugs solely for the purpose of the bypass. Hehe, you definitely don't want to assume anything when it comes to work that someone else has done, especially electrical.

Thanks again, it works perfectly now. This is the first time I haven't done the installation on my own (the combo of a brand new car + navigation + working sixty hours pushed me toward using an experienced installer) so it felt weird not knowing exactly what I was looking at once I got inside the dash.