AVIC411.com

D3 questions about Nav

I am looking at getting a D3, Couple questions as it will be the first Nav system I've had. I read that you can't have the Nav disc in and listen to a CD, or watch a DVD, Correct? So if I head from here (Kansas) to Oregon, Can I set a destination, and then watch DVDs all the way there? Well the kids will watch, I will drive!! How does this POI work? type in Burger King, and it will tell me where the nearest one is? And that is part of the Nav DVD or that cost extra? Like a subscription like the Sirius? I am really leaning towards this unit, and wanting to order today, just a few questions from a newbe. Thanks

Shane

As for your concerns, you cannot watch dvds while the nav disc is in because there is only the one slot for discs. What you do is put in the navi disc and set your destination. Once done, take it out and put in the dvd. The D3 will keep the dest. in memory and still guide you there.

POI works basically like you stated, tell it what you want and it will find locations that are near you and you choose the one you want. And it is all inclusive of the nav dvd.

As far as the Sirius question goes, I don't really understand what you are asking.

About the setting of waypoints/restaurants/hotels/etc. during a trip...

Once you have set your destination and removed the DVD, when you sre somewhere en route and you want to find the nearest restaurant or inn or whatever, do you have to reinsert the nav disk, or not?

About the setting of waypoints/restaurants/hotels/etc. during a trip...

Once you have set your destination and removed the DVD, when you sre somewhere en route and you want to find the nearest restaurant or inn or whatever, do you have to reinsert the nav disk, or not?

Yes anytime you do a new search such as a P.O.I. search for a restaurant you have to put the Nav DVD in. Also if the route you are taking is very long, you may also have to put the Nav DVD in at some point along the way. The memory only holds so much info. That is the drawback of the D3 in that it only has 1 DVD slot so you have to keep putting in the Navi DVD when you want to do a search.

Well I ordered a Power Acoustic PTID-5800, 5.8" screen-DVD-CD-MP3-etc. Does not have Nav, which I kinda wanted, but it was about $400 cheaper, and I will take that $400 and buy a hand-held Garmin or something that I can take ANYWHERE... I do alot of hunting, so the handheld will be better for me I think, as I can take it with me into the woods or on the boat, or hiking in the Oregon mountains, or well you get the idea. Alot of good the GPS will do me back at camp in the truck if I'm lost out in the woods!!! LOL

Thanks for the replys guys. this site is great.

Shane