AVIC411.com

D3 for E46 BMW- Just a few questions before I buy...

I'm wanting to install a double DIN nav unit, and my biggest stipulation is being able to match the lighting of the new unit to the BMW amber illumination. I just hate having obscenely bright blue crap in my BMW interiors. Unless I missed something, the D3 is the only one that will let me do that, and I also approve of most of the features available with the D3. The only thing I really wish it had was an internal HDD I could fill with mp3s. On Crutchfield I've seen the CD-UB100, that will apparently interface the D3 with USB devices. Will that allow me to plug in a USB hard drive loaded with music? If so, how well will it interface? I hate Apple, so don't bother telling me to buy an iPod. It's not going to happen. I've also gotten mixed answers from local sales folk when asked if it will play a burned DVD filled with mp3/wma files. I'd appreciate a definite answer from people who own the unit and have tried this.

I have the d3 installed on my e46. I matched the colors to the amber and it looks good. I also changed the splash screen and background to a BMW logo. As far as using a USB drive to load mp3's, I don't know. That's something you can do a search for on the forum. It's unfortunate that you hate apple cuz I bought an Ipod specifically for my car and it works great. I also added the bluetooth phone option instead of using the BMW bluetooth. I've used a Razr, the Motorola MING, and now I am using the Blackberry Pearl and all have worked great. The Pearl has worked the best so far as it transferred my entire phone book, shows the battery meter and signal strength. Not sure how far you have researched doing a double din install, but it does take some modifying of the air ducts behind the dash. And you have to relocate the A/C controls to the sunglass storage area. Any other questions you have feel free to ask![/img]

post-7047-12872753053119_thumb.jpg