AVIC411.com

Z2, F250 diesel, and a lot of noise!!!!

I started the thread about the Z2 freezing on startup. After sending it back twice, I have a new one with a production date of July 2007. Haven't had it back long enough to see about the freezing part though.

2006 F-250 Diesel

Z2 with BT, iPod

MB Quart PAB5400

JL Audio components

JL Audio stealthbox

After installing the new head unit, it's got all kinds of noise. What's funny is that there are so many different intermittent noises, that none of them are the same. I've grounded the head unit to the metal behind the dash, I've held a ground on the shields of the RCA's (didnt' help), and installed 2 ground loop isolators (front and rear RCA's), and I've even held a 4 gauge wire to the dash metal and the chassis of the head unit. I've tried different grounding places on the amp. The 4 gauge wire is on the opposite side of the vehicle as the RCA's.

You can hold one side of the 4 gauge to the metal, and with the other hand rub the 4 gauge across the top of the chassis of the head unit. It sounds like someone scratching on a turntable.

The noise is only detectable at a low volume, and sometimes its real high-pitched. None of it is alternator whine. It doesn't change with the rpm's like normal engine noise.

Anyone?

Since you have a piece of shit truck, do you also have a programmer for the motor? Most programmers out there throw some noise into the system as they plug into the OBD II port all the time. It happens to Bully Dog, and Edge so far that I know of.

Actually, I have an LBZ Duramax truck, this one's a customers and it's all stock. No programmers.

The D3 in my truck does funky shit like that too...

First, to Eggsack, ummmm.......what? I've been doing car audio for 20 years, and installing performance chips, programmers, modules and upgraded computers for the last 5, and have never heard of that. OK, back to the problem at hand. Are you sure you don't have a grounded speaker wire? Or tie the JL Audio crossovers to a power cable? They are rather susceptible to radiated noise, due to the 18 dB/oct. filters(More inductors to pick up noise). Also, have you tried running a ground from the battery to the AVIC? I've had an F-350 give me a bad ground through the factory harness and dash sheetmetal before.

First, to Eggsack, ummmm.......what? I've been doing car audio for 20 years, and installing performance chips, programmers, modules and upgraded computers for the last 5, and have never heard of that. OK, back to the problem at hand. Are you sure you don't have a grounded speaker wire? Or tie the JL Audio crossovers to a power cable? They are rather susceptible to radiated noise, due to the 18 dB/oct. filters(More inductors to pick up noise). Also, have you tried running a ground from the battery to the AVIC? I've had an F-350 give me a bad ground through the factory harness and dash sheetmetal before.

Dude how can anyone be so ignorant about factory wires. These newer programmers that have displays in the cab and circuit boards and such in them actually DO radiate frequencies that can be heard through sound systems. It get modualtes through the OBD II ports as they are not protected. WTF ??? I have heard about htis for at least 3 years.

Now if you do not have a programmer, then that is where the factory wires can be grounding somewhere or a wire could be scratched through the insulation. Hll there are literally thousands of things that can make sounds come through a speaker. Putting certain cell phones or blue tooth items near spoeakers can make them buzz.

Get a grip!!!

im with jimmy.

i dont know if you have troubleshooted these problems on your own or if some one just told you that your accesories are the problem.

no device should add noise to the system. unless its an amp. a deck. or as stated a grounded speaker wire or terminals or maybe bad positioning of wires.

sorry jony that ur post still hasnt got answered

id check the pins at the radio plug if any of them look like there not as far in as the rest then try to poke them through more after plugging in the unit

thats about as helpful as i can be on an engine noise prob over the internet

Thanks hottwhyrd. I'm pretty sure all the pins are good and I know troubleshooting over the net is worthless, but I sure appreciate everyone trying. Sometimes it takes a fresh mind or second person's experience. I haven't installed many of the Z2's or D3's, but the ones I have installed have been pretty noisy. I just hate to tell a customer that's the best it'll get after spending $1,800 on a head unit.

The only problems I've had with noise on the Z1/2, is one defective unit, but I've noticed their noise floor is rather high, so you get some hiss interjection that is pretty much unsolvable. But then again, the Z1/2 was never maketed towards the audiophile.

• 2 weeks later...