AVIC411.com

NEX 8100 Camera displat at start-up

I have read several posts here about the speed with which the NEX units recognize the presence of a camera and show the image prior to the unit booting up.

I have turned Camera View Off and have turned all camera references off and the unit boots to the start up screen as I would like.  But then in order to get cameras to work, one has to go into the settings.

if I connect the reverse camera to a power source that only comes up when the car is in reverse the camera view comes up as a black screen until the unit boots up when the guidelines appear and when one puts the car in reverse the picture comes up.

It appears that the presence is being driven by any reference to a back up camera in the settings, rather than the power state of the camera in question?

Is there a way to have a front and rear camera installed so that when the car is started the camera display for one or the other isn't displayed?  (I mean without having to go into settings to enable / disable each time)

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Camera view should show only when you select that source input and is independent of the back-up camera feature. The back-up camera should come on only when you shift into reverse - this is caused by a signal input from the appropriate wire in your car's wiring harness connecting to the correct wire on the NEX.

If your camera is getting 12v power only when the car is in reverse, then it is not wired properly. The 12v feed should come from a switched 12v source - independent of what gear the car is in. That way, the back-up camera comes on automatically when you shift into reverse, and the camera view shows only when you manually select that source.

both cameras are now wired to switched 12v. Camera View is off. Cameras are on.

Unit senses Reverse via a Canbus adapter (this is a volvo) and triggers reverse camera appropriately.

BUT, when the car starts up, the first setting that the unit presents is camera view, rather than the start up screen. Is there anyway to avoid this

Curious. My 4100nex shows the splash screen, then the warning screen with "OK" button, but then goes to whatever source was active when the car was turned off. I suspect your issue relates to having two cameras. My manual (which is probably same as 8100 for this) has some confusing instructions on how to set up the second camera settings. Look for "setting second camera input" in your manual and see if that helps. What port is your front-view camera plugged into?