AVIC411.com

What does "Simple Hybrid Mode" mean?

Yeah, I just read through a lot of posts on it. Basically it taps into speedometer speed pulse wire. The unit then knows that the car is moving and at what rate. Important when you lose GPS signals like going into tunnels, heavily forested areas, lots of tall buildings ect...so the nav keeps functioning vs hanging up waiting to reconnect with the lost satellites. It also helps with making turm notifications a bit sharper/sooner vs last minute. Also has some effect on the ASL feature (automatic sound leveliser) that lowers/increases the radio volume as you go slower/faster. I've had my unit (6000) running in Simple Hybrid Mode for 6 months now without the VSS wire attached and haven't had any nav issues. Done a few 600 mile+ round trips and nav works like a champ.

Yeah, I just read through a lot of posts on it. Basically it taps into speedometer speed pulse wire. The unit then knows that the car is moving and at what rate. Important when you lose GPS signals like going into tunnels, heavily forested areas, lots of tall buildings ect...so the nav keeps functioning vs hanging up waiting to reconnect with the lost satellites. It also helps with making turm notifications a bit sharper/sooner vs last minute. Also has some effect on the ASL feature (automatic sound leveliser) that lowers/increases the radio volume as you go slower/faster. I've had my unit (6000) running in Simple Hybrid Mode for 6 months now without the VSS wire attached and haven't had any nav issues. Done a few 600 mile+ round trips and nav works like a champ.

Hmm.  You got my attention with the ASL.  I actually find this a useful feature but makes sense it can't work if the HU doesn't know the speed.  May need to have my installer connect the wire if for no other reason than this one.  Thanks again.  Very succinct and helpful overview!

I hope you didn't pay for that "bypass module". As you can do the bypass very easily from the screen. 

I personally installed this unit as well as my previous Pioneer D-3. Both times I used the speed sense wire. I travel in areas where the GPS signal doesn't reach, like a mile inside the tunnel. Either through a mountain or through the Chesapeake  Bay Bridge Tunnel. 

KOT

I hope you didn't pay for that "bypass module". As you can do the bypass very easily from the screen. 

I personally installed this unit as well as my previous Pioneer D-3. Both times I used the speed sense wire. I travel in areas where the GPS signal doesn't reach, like a mile inside the tunnel. Either through a mountain or through the Chesapeake  Bay Bridge Tunnel. 

KOT

I did pay them $15 for the module.  Given that I have no install skills and they are a very well-respected company with whom I've done business on numerous occasions, I feel comfortable with how things turned out.  Good to know there is an on-screen option and will keep in mind for the future.  Thanks for the info.