AVIC411.com

Recently picked up a used F700BT off Facebook for $20.  I need a new double DIN stereo for my Saab and the 700 has every single thing on my wishlist, so I figured I'd gamble the $20 and see what happens.  No obvious breaks, cracks or dents in the chassis.

The stereo came with no cabling, so I picked up a harness from Amazon for it.  My initial test suggests I'm not out $30 as the stereo does not power on at all (no lights, no display backlight, no noise from the CD player).  Figured before I toss it in the recycle bin I'd check in here and just verify a simple 12v battery test is a sufficient test.

I wire nutted the ground (black) and switched power (red) leads to some jumper wires I have and then clipped them to the + and - terminals on my battery.  I get no response from the unit at all that I can find.  I pressed the reset button briefly and nothing there either, but I didn't hold it for more than a few seconds.

I did verify the 10A blade fuse is good.

Should I have gotten some kind of response from the unit from this test or no?  I verified I have 12v across the leads on the harness to the red and black wires and I've also verified via google that the harness seems to have the correct pinout so the ground is on pin 15 and the switched power is on 14.  I did not connect power to the constant power lead on 16, not sure if thats necessary...I would think that's just for station, clock and settings memory.

So, anything else I can do to test it, or is it toast and I should move on with my life and listen to the little voice in my head that tells me to not buy used car stereos that I can't verify as operational before I hand over my money?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...