AVIC411.com

Modding firmware

I mucked around for about 16 hours this weekend playing with the AVIC 8100 NEX, firmware update, source code, and SD card. I have never worked with Freescale or EasyRecovery so I'm not sure which features to attribute to which manufacturer, or how they work. I'm hoping to start a conversation about this here and maybe pioneer a custom Pioneer Android ROM, which would add some serious value to our devices.

First off, does anyone know the SD CMD42 password for the SDCard?

Overall:

This generation runs Android. The UI is entirely Android. The partitions in the update are standard Android partitions but instead of just boot and recovery, there is a third Linux kernel "boot.img" formatted image for some reason.

Update:

The partitions are signed. Each file in a folder inside the update is a separate whole partition image. They also each have a corresponding version information file in the root dir of the update which point to the folder which they are contained. They contain a header with some information, followed by a series of 0xFF's, then the partition starts.

You can remove the header from the files and you have a mountable partition. Using Linux I was able to mount the SYSTEM and tear apart the boot.img files. It's all standard Android, but I have no idea how to sign them after modification to be used with EasyRecovery.

Source:

The GPL compliance source code is overwhelming. It's not contained in one place. It's a series of patches which go against mainline Android 4.2.2. I'm not sure if it's complete and even if it is, I don't know how to place it onto the device or sign it for EasyRecovery.

Does anyone have some insight? If I could get the SD password, I could do some serious work and start by removing the nag screen on startup, then move on to forcing Android Auto to Auto-play on deck startup. Any ideas?

Best answer I can come up with is to check out this thread:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/80945-upgrading-nex4000-to-nex4100-work-in-progress/

and these blog entries:

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.html

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex-pt2.html

That might answer some of your questions, and help avoid doing duplicate work. I wish I could help more. God speed, I hope you can make some progress, I would really love to put the 8100 firmware onto the 8000 hardware (we're really close, but no cigar. see thread above)