AVIC411.com

random startup freezing - 8100NEX

Hi,

I tried to search through the forum for something similar, but I haven't found anything. I've had my 8100 for about 6 weeks now, having put it in my 2015 Subaru Forester. I installed it myself, soldering all of the wiring ends. I grounded out the parking brake wire and did the software bypass. Overall, the unit works really well. However, every now and again (probably about once every 2-3 weeks or so), I'll turn on the car after not having driven it for a bit (say, in the morning), and the boot splash will come up and then it just gets stuck on the "loading" screen. If I have music playing, I have no control over it at that time (even though other times I can change the volume, etc...). I shut down my car and restart it and then the whole HU remains dark for about 30-40 seconds, eventually bringing up the boot splash. If I shut it down again and restart the car, it'll then come back up on it's own just fine. Sometimes on that 3rd time when it comes back up, it'll give me an error that the parking ground is set incorrectly. But everything works fine after that. Then it'll work totally fine for another week or two and repeat itself (usually when I'm in a hurry to leave for work or sometime when I don't really have the time to sit there and restart the car multiple times).

I have the latest firmware on it. I have gone back and checked my soldered connections and everything appears to be pretty solid (I sealed all the joints with heatshrink tubing as well - plus I have lots of soldering experience). This seems like an intermittent software issue. I had originally thought that it was due to my phone (I have a Note 3), as it seemed that when I had it plugged in at boot, it would do it more, but I have since been able to make it do it multiple times with the phone totally disconnected. I thought it might be a heat/ventilation issue, but it seems to make no difference as it does it when my car is in the hot sun and when it's 65 degrees in my garage.

Has anyone else run into this situation?

I went out today at lunch and it did it again. Luckily the music volume was low, so I just let it go as I was driving around to see what would happen. Eventually the display would go dark, but the button lights were still going. The buttons didn't do anything, though. For grins, I plugged in my phone and it didn't register it as being plugged in (usually at least notes that it's charging). That lasted for about 7-8 minutes. When I got to my destination, I shut off the car and turned it back to accessory. The HU rebooted and was dark for about 30-40 seconds (along with the button lights), and then the splash screen came up and then it booted normal. I then turned off the car and went inside. When I came out about 5 minutes later, the HU started perfectly fine.

I have seen timing issues with mine (so have others I think), where it gets confused based on some reasonably fast interval between ON and Crank (during which the power is disconnect) and Run (when power is reconnected). If I always wait a couple of chimes after turning the ignition on before cranking the starter, it always starts up fine. If I forget to wait, and just move it straight to crank, often times I will see a very long startup delay.

HTH

OK - that made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I tried over several days and actually it seemed like the problem was getting worse, like it was happening everytime. At one point for about a 1/2 day, I couldn't even get the radio to load at all.

On a hunch, I unplugged the SSD hanging off USB1 and it's been fine (for 2 car trips at least). Bootup is very fast and requires no jiggery of the starting sequence. I'm going to try this out for a couple days to see if it changes things. I'll then try to plug the SSD back in to see if I start having problems again.

How big an SSD, and how many files are on it?

It's a 250GB SSD w/ about 22,000 files on it. I know it's over the limit, but it was working fine for about a month before this all started.

So without the drive plugged in, the unit's been absolutley rock solid. On a whim, I tried plugging it in (before boot) and instantly... same problem. So I unplugged it and and restarted the car and it was fine.

I seem to be able to get around it by plugging the drive in after it's booted (it's sitting in my glove box, so it's not too inconvenient). After about a 2 minute load, I can access all the files just like before.

This file/folder limit on external media is a PITA, but I can make it work if I need to.