AVIC411.com

HELP!!!! Z2 not working

I'm having problems with my z2. Before it stopped working it would skip through the songs on the library. Then the next time i turned it on it just stayed on the pioneer splash screen.I pulled the hard drive off and put the cover back on and now just the am/fm work. I connected the hdd to my laptop and xp recognized it as a mass storage device and it was ready for use. However, under My Computer I didn't see it as an available drive. I downloaded some data recovery s/w to try and assess what shape its in. There were so many bad sectors on the drive, that my only option was to do a full scan to see what data can be recovered. Its been scanning for 2 days now. Any suggestions? I realize that even if I can get some data I might not get the full image. Where can I get an image of the Z2 s/w? Thx in advance...

the skipping in your library is from the heat throwing read errors from your HD its also what causes the freezing at the splash screen.

once it starts it gets worse as your experiencing.

mine was like yours i did the bypass update and it really helped and now the only time it freezes is on 100 degree days with no sunshade. the bypass does have some boot files in it so you may give it a try before you have to reimage your drive.

with this unit a sunshade is a must and i leave my windows cracked.

Do people ever think to read before posting?

I would say to be easy on the guy....and that he's probably just freaking out as his pricey HU is crapping the bead.....but....in this case....there are like 10 different threads with the word "FREEZING" right at the very top....in which "FRYING" would be the more appropriate word....if in fact it is caused by temps.....

in which, is one thing I don't understand.....if it is indeed caused by temps.....then how does a software update produce less freezing.....or did Hyperite or DucatiBoy...mess with a fan speed setting or something?

So far I haven't had any issues with it locking up(knock on wood)...I also didn't run the stock firmware for more than ten minutes, during installation, before I installed the bypass update.....(Z2)

the HU has a temp threshold that shuts the HD down which was possibly in the update. there were also a few boot files added or changed and maybe drivers were updated.

its heat dont get sidetracked

its not frying our laptop style automotive HD,s are only rated to 75C your dash gets hotter then that.

before your HD fails to boot but is getting hot it will skip songs in the library caused by to many read errors. on boot up when there are too many rear errors the HD will not boot causing the freeze.

take your HD out with a T8 torx put it in fron of your AC duct for 3-5 minutes and put it back in and it will work 99% of the time and the unit will boot back up. there is allot of heat retained in the HU itself and unlike most computers this unit is very poorly built will little to no cooling to most of the HU. 1 small crappy fan that doesnt cool the HD.

for a while back it was confirmed and understood it was heat there was no arguement. makes me wonder how many pioneer tech,s have joined this forum to do damage control