AVIC411.com

Clarify/confirm 4100 functionality before I buy

Hi folks.  I'm tentatively planning to use the 4100NEX head unit, but I have some concerns/confusion that I'm hoping folks here can clarify.  I'd like to avoid discovering after-the-fact that I cannot use the 4100 for a few specific use cases that are important to me.

I've searched other threads here, and read significant portions of the manual, but some of this may still be redundant.  Apologies in advance.

One function that is critical for me is to store my entire music collection offline on local MP3 and/or FLAC files on an SD card.  Assume that I use a 64GB SD card that has 50GB of MP3 content stored in 12,000 files arranged in 1100 folders (all below the spec'd limits from Pioneer).

1) after the initial long/painful format-read/indexing, will the format/index data be retained in 4100 non-volatile memory? 

2) specifically, after an initial format/index, on subsequent starts of the vehicle, will the SD content be immediately available (no repeat of format/index)??

3) if I move back and forth between HD radio and the SD content, will the SD content be available immediately?

In reading other threads, it seems like some folks have problems w/ large file structures on USB and/or SD while others do not.  This particular functionality is VERY important to me.  My current Pioneer unit (4400BH) is very annoying in this regard:  my USB with 40GB requires a format read EVERY time that I start the car, or switch back from radio or Bluetooth sources.  It takes about 3 minutes every time.   

I brought the same USB stick to a Pioneer dealer to check out the 4100, and it took over 30 minutes before the 4100 had format/indexed all the files.  Further, the dealer demo setup had the "ignition" input to the 4100 hard wired to +12V, so there was no way to simulate an engine on/off cycle.  

Next questions are details about AndroidAuto / CarPlay functionality.  My primary phone will be a Nexus 5X but I will have passengers w/ iPhones.

Using USB2 for AndroidAuto via Nexus 5X:

4) Can I play audio from the SD card, and simultaneously see Google Maps on the screen via AndroidAuto?  Or are the "native" modes of the 4100NEX mutually exclusive to the AndroidAuto mode?

5) Is any "multi-tasking" supported by AndroidAuto?  For example, can I listen to NPR (via the NPR One AA app) while simultaneously running Google Maps and seeing it on the screen?  Or is AA a one-app-at-a-time scenario only?

6) Can both USB1 and USB2 be used for phone charging?  For example, can I run AA from my Nexus 5X over USB2 while my passenger charges their iPhone via the USB1?  Or the inverse:  can I charge my Nexus on USB2 (AA not running) while my passenger runs CarPlay via iPhone over USB1?

And a couple other questions:

7) USB1 cannot be used for audio or video files via a USB stick, just USB2, correct?  But can be used for charging??

8.) Say I play a DVD and route the video over the 4100 composite video output to a large (~27") screen in the back of my van (camping scenario, not driving).  The 4100 should output the native 720x480 resolution of the DVD, correct?  I assume there is no up-sampling to HD.  In this video use case, will the DVD audio be ONLY available on the mini-pin audio output that accompanies the yellow video output on the 4100?  Or can I configure the 4100 to send the DVD audio to the standard pre-amp outputs (front/rear/sub)?  Basically, when camping, I'd like to play a DVD, sending the video to a large screen, but have the audio come through the normal rear amp/speakers.

Sorry for long first post.  Thanks for any insight/guidance in response.

Hi folks.  I'm tentatively planning to use the 4100NEX head unit, but I have some concerns/confusion that I'm hoping folks here can clarify.  I'd like to avoid discovering after-the-fact that I cannot use the 4100 for a few specific use cases that are important to me.

I've searched other threads here, and read significant portions of the manual, but some of this may still be redundant.  Apologies in advance.

One function that is critical for me is to store my entire music collection offline on local MP3 and/or FLAC files on an SD card.  Assume that I use a 64GB SD card that has 50GB of MP3 content stored in 12,000 files arranged in 1100 folders (all below the spec'd limits from Pioneer).

1) after the initial long/painful format-read/indexing, will the format/index data be retained in 4100 non-volatile memory? 

2) specifically, after an initial format/index, on subsequent starts of the vehicle, will the SD content be immediately available (no repeat of format/index)??

3) if I move back and forth between HD radio and the SD content, will the SD content be available immediately?

In reading other threads, it seems like some folks have problems w/ large file structures on USB and/or SD while others do not.  This particular functionality is VERY important to me.  My current Pioneer unit (4400BH) is very annoying in this regard:  my USB with 40GB requires a format read EVERY time that I start the car, or switch back from radio or Bluetooth sources.  It takes about 3 minutes every time.   

I brought the same USB stick to a Pioneer dealer to check out the 4100, and it took over 30 minutes before the 4100 had format/indexed all the files.  Further, the dealer demo setup had the "ignition" input to the 4100 hard wired to +12V, so there was no way to simulate an engine on/off cycle.  

Ok, I'm going to give this a shot... as I had a 4100 for about 5 days.

1: I'm not sure, with my 8100 and 800GB of songs (on a 3TB drive), I've never seen it at 100% (But the % done stays the same so it might)

2: for me it takes about 1-5 minutes before any songs start playing.  THis could be due to the Indexing...

3: see above, but I can tell you that switching between USB1 (iPod) or HD radio or Sirius sound is within a couple seconds

Next questions are details about AndroidAuto / CarPlay functionality.  My primary phone will be a Nexus 5X but I will have passengers w/ iPhones.

Using USB2 for AndroidAuto via Nexus 5X:

4) Can I play audio from the SD card, and simultaneously see Google Maps on the screen via AndroidAuto?  Or are the "native" modes of the 4100NEX mutually exclusive to the AndroidAuto mode?

5) Is any "multi-tasking" supported by AndroidAuto?  For example, can I listen to NPR (via the NPR One AA app) while simultaneously running Google Maps and seeing it on the screen?  Or is AA a one-app-at-a-time scenario only?

6) Can both USB1 and USB2 be used for phone charging?  For example, can I run AA from my Nexus 5X over USB2 while my passenger charges their iPhone via the USB1?  Or the inverse:  can I charge my Nexus on USB2 (AA not running) while my passenger runs CarPlay via iPhone over USB1?

4: easy answer, Yes

5:  If I remember right (and only because I haven't done that just yet)  it should be able to.

6: Yes

And a couple other questions:

7) USB1 cannot be used for audio or video files via a USB stick, just USB2, correct?  But can be used for charging??

8.) Say I play a DVD and route the video over the 4100 composite video output to a large (~27") screen in the back of my van (camping scenario, not driving).  The 4100 should output the native 720x480 resolution of the DVD, correct?  I assume there is no up-sampling to HD.  In this video use case, will the DVD audio be ONLY available on the mini-pin audio output that accompanies the yellow video output on the 4100?  Or can I configure the 4100 to send the DVD audio to the standard pre-amp outputs (front/rear/sub)?  Basically, when camping, I'd like to play a DVD, sending the video to a large screen, but have the audio come through the normal rear amp/speakers.

7: Yes it can, I put my 3TB drive on USB1 and it works.... although I've yet to get the iPod that I use on USB1 to show the video I have on it... the timer moves but no sound or video...  I"ll be testing with another iPod eventually

8:  Don't know about that one.... as a guess I'd say it might, but it all depends on what the 4100 is looking for as far as resolution etc....  On a side not, it has an HDMI port, (Maybe) video could be sent through that and the sound would just come from your normal speakers... the only reason it might not is that the HDMI port is just an INPUT not OUTPUT.

I'd say just get a TV with a DVD player built in, less hassle...   8)

Sorry for long first post.  Thanks for any insight/guidance in response.

Ok, I'm going to give this a shot... as I had a 4100 for about 5 days.

1: I'm not sure, with my 8100 and 800GB of songs (on a 3TB drive), I've never seen it at 100% (But the % done stays the same so it might)

2: for me it takes about 1-5 minutes before any songs start playing.  THis could be due to the Indexing...

3: see above, but I can tell you that switching between USB1 (iPod) or HD radio or Sirius sound is within a couple seconds

Multitask, thanks for your answers.

Regarding 1,  if you've got 800GB of music, surely you've exceeded the 1500 folder / 15,000 file limit?  That may explain why you've never seen 100%.  I've noticed that the indexing appears to proceed in alphabetical order by song, so you may want to try looking for a song you know is on your drive and begins with a W/X/Y/Z letter and see if its accessible.

Regarding 2, I wish some other folks could weigh in with their observations.  Surely someone out there has a 20GB-60GB music folder on a USB or SD??  

Regarding 3, switching between iPod, radio or Sirius should always be essentially instantaneous;  all of these sources provide a signal directly to the 4100NEX.  The case of a USB stick/drive or SD card is unique, as they are the only sources that require a format read / index.

A salesman at a local audio shop kindly allowed me to try his installed 4100NEX in his own car.  Unfortunately, the only SD I had with me had only 1GB on it, so the experiment isn't definitive.  The initial read/index got to 10% quickly (10+ seconds) and a song began playing; the rest of the format/index reached 100% in about 75 seconds.  After playing songs for a bit, we switch to radio for a minute, then switched back; the SD music was playing relatively immediately, and showing 100%.  Then we switched off the ignition, powering off the 4100NEX.  A minute later, switched ignition on again.  At this point, the unit showed that it was format reading / indexing, initially only at 10%, but reaching 100% quickly (like 5-10 seconds).  So the full SD was available MUCH sooner on the subsequent starts than the original start.

My speculative conclusion from this:  when a USB or SD is initially inserted, the 4100NEX does a format read, and builds a corresponding index in the 4100NEX non-volatile (flash) memory.  This takes substantial time, roughly 60-90 seconds per GB??  But on subsequent starts, if the USB or SD has not been removed, the index has been retained, so the 4100NEX only needs to transfer the index from internal flash to internal RAM; this could explain why subsequent starts still show a rising % of format read, but with a dramatically faster rise.

PLEASE, anyone else with NEX units, using large-ish USB or SD, let me know your experiences.

I've since figured I'd go the iPod way and stay with that... I just wish the system would see the videos on there, but with my old 2nd gen touch it saw the vids but didn't play them, the new 6th gen touch doesn't even see them... I think I read it has to do with the type of connector Apple uses now.

the time to switch is mostly the time it takes to switch screens, usualy about 1 2 seconds, but it's fast enough for me.

THe 8100 (and the 4100 I had) are WAY fater booting up than the Kenwood 990HD I had, it took about 1-2 minutes before most anything would happen, except the backup camera , sometime the SAT signal would take 5 10 minutes to find the sats.... my 8100 is ready to go with those in about 20-30 seconds.  I think this has to do with the Sat software does not load till you need it.