AVIC411.com

I have been a longtime Pioneer user going back to the AVIC D3 and then a AVIC Z110. So about a year ago. I upgraded to a AVIC NEX 8100. Plus I've been a longtime Apple user. About a week ago my iPhone 6 starting acting up. I took it to the Apple Store and was told it has touchscreen disease. I don't like the iPhone 7. so I upgraded to the Moto Z force.  A pretty nice android. When I used my iPhone 6 with AVIC NEX 8100. I was able to use CarPlay and all the AVIC features. One of the features I use all the time is the AVIC Sync App. I've used it to update my 8100 maps, I've subscripted to updates and the services such as gas and weather. My Moto Z works well and I love Android Auto over CarPlay even through I'm a Apple Fanboy, My major issue is I'm not able to get AVIC SYNC  on my phone to work with my AVIC NEX 8100. When I open the App on the phone and then go to the NEX 8100 Maps and hit the AVIC icon on the top of screen. I see my old iPhone 6. Then I hit the Add a new Phone button. Then it takes to next screen all I get is instructions on using the USB port or the Bluetooth. The USB does work. because as soon as I connect my phone to the AVIC. Android Auto automatically launches. My question Am I doing something wrong? does the AVIC SYNC work with Android ? oh forgot to mention my new Phone has USB -Type C. 

A few things to cover in order for us to be on the same page:

I take it you have the Pioneer app already installed on your Android phone.

You have launched this app, logged in and done whatever you needed to do in order to get your account re-linked to Pioneer.

--

On the stereo, you have switched from CarPlay to Android Auto mode (I believe there is an additional mode that will disable Android Auto as well, try that).

In the navigation app, remove the currently paired device (the iPhone 6) -- this is somewhere in the settings for the navigation software, not the settings for the radio itself.

While setting this up, disable Android Auto auto-launch until you are done setting this up.

Personally, I do not use Pioneer's offering -- the offered apps are not 'good' enough for the road and for me Android Auto (and even CarPlay for this matter) offer all that I need.

I don't know your needs so I cannot speak for you -- but from my usage of the 8100 NEX both in CarPlay and Android Auto, AVIC Sync was just not good enough to bother with nor pay for.

--
Let me know if you need me to try something on my stereo as I have an 8100 as well (as mentioned) along with a Nexus 6P (USB Type-C as well).

On another note -- what is the firmware you currently have installed on your 8100?