AVIC411.com

8200 to 8500 - GPS Antenna/Wireless Carplay

Currently on a Z8200. Unit's been crashing a bit so I've decided to just swap out the unit to the 8500.

In dong some light reading

- is the harness exactly the same - straight PNP

- Re the PNP questions. Is the GPS antenna the same or different on the 8500. In reading recent threads, it looks like if one was to use wireless carplay, it uses the GPS antenna on the nav ? Is there anything (extra/different) on the Z8500 GPS antenna than as of former years. Granted I've never used the factory nav at all, as waze is far superior.  This might end up not being a straight PNP swap then, as my GPS antenna is currently routed externally

Nice. So the wiring is pure PNP, just short or 2 RCA's.....onto the new harness.

BTW, I ended up calling Pioneer support on the wireless carplay-gps inquiry. Threads in this forum seem to infer than with wireless carplay, it uses the OE Navi GPS and not the phone/device GPS. Pioneer says that is incorrect and wireless carplay with *working gps* works just fine, even with no gps antenna on the HU. As a example, on their other non navi units with wireless carplay, they state that navi works via Wireless Carplay and those units don't even have GPS