AVIC411.com

1998 Mercury Mountaineer (Ford Explorer) Install

Hello everyone and thanks for all the great info on this site.

I recently purchased a D3 and will be installing it myself. I just have a few questions. I was wondering where can I get info on which wiring harness to use, if I need an install kit, which is the VSS wire, reverse wire, etc... I've searched the forums but haven't found anything specific to this vehicle and year. Any info and help is much appreciated. I'll post pics of the install and final results when I'm done.

My D3 should get here on Monday (10/08/07)) so I would like to have everything ready so when it arrives I can go ahead with the install. Many thanks.

PS - I will be making some custom backgrounds (I do graphic design/photography as a hobby/freelance) and will gladly post it here for everyone's benefit...especially since there aren't many Mercury or Mountaineer backgrounds that I've seen here).

99-5805 and some minor trimming to the dash opening to accomodate the double din. Harness should be a 70-1771. Vss should be

Speed Sense gray/black PCM

Notes: The PCM is located at the top of the firewall towards the passenger side.

Reverse if I remember is black/pink in the driver's harness to the rear.

Thanks for the quick response! Do I absolutely need the dash kit, it won't fit into the stock opening directly as the stock does? Also, the dash opening is 4"x7" exactly (I measured it) so are you sure it will need trimming, have you installed into a 98 mountaineer before? I just don't want to buy something I might not need...thanks again.

For all you '98 Mountaineer owners, this might be of some help...if you have the premium "Mach" system or have the"Speed Sensitive Volume" function on your factory stereo (as mine does).

Ok I have been looking through a technical service manual, and have located the VSS (+) wire coming from the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) near the center upper dash, and it does say it is Gray/Black. Also, the factory stereo has volume compensation so it increases or decreases the volume automatically depending on velocity. If this is the case for you, you don't have to go searching for the VSS wire as it should already be there and going into one of your harnesses...more specifically it is the large square one. The VSS wire is the one in the second (middle) row that is Gray/Black. Additionally, on mine at least, it is the ONLY wire in the second (middle) row.

I will have pictures up soon. I just got my D3 in today (Tuesday), and what a beauty!!, and my wiring harness and dash kit should be coming in either tomorrow or the next day. I will post pics of the install and the VSS wire. Now I'm off to search for the reverse wire.

By the way, cntrylvr79, you were right...I will have to do some trimming to the dash opening! Bummer. Why does Mercury/Ford have to be different and put in a 1.8 din in there or whatever it is!

Alright, got the unit in and bypassed with everything working perfectly! Well, I haven't found the reverse wire yet but everything else is working as it should. I got my Blackberry 8100 Pearl to connect up to the bluetooth module with no problems...I was even able to transfer my address book. I took pictures of the whole process, and as promissed, they will be going up along with some tips on GPS antenna location.

If any of you know exactly where the reverse wire is, or even better, have a picture for the Mountaineer '98, that would be great. I don't want to run the wire all the way to the back of the car, so I will keep looking up front...I'm sure it has to be there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, seems not to be much interest in the Mountaineers (Explorers) so I will forego uploading the pics and wasting bandwidth...unless someone specifically requests them.

PM me if you need help installing in a Mountaineer or Explorer as I have successfully done it now, including the dreaded power antenna everyone seems to be having so much trouble with around the net (from what I've read).

Cheers