AVIC411.com

how the hell do I mount in VW passat!! No kit around!!

the problem is that nothing looks factory because I cannot find and trim pieces to make it look finished.

Two Problems

1. Even if I had the sleeve there is nothign for it to latch or bolt onto!!

2. There is no trim piece since its an shaped piece of dash. So it looks liek i have to make some thing custom unless they have the trim it for my vehicle. I dont know why this is so hard to dial in :)

Two things to consider when buying a radio.
1. how to mount it in the double din slot
2. Make sure you have trim pieces so it looks factory !!

I guess I will have to take to a shop that knows what i am saying and can fix it. Thanks
I don't understand that either. I have a 2002.5 Mazda Protege ES for which there is no mounting kit. I too was advised by the folks here to use a double DIN sleeve, but having not ever pulled my OEM head unit I sorta' have the same question you do, which is: What/How do I mount or attach the DIN sleeve? Assuming the DIN sleeve is adequately mounted or attached, does the Avic-Z1 slide in and "lock" into place? I realize that most of these questions will probably be answered visually once I start the process, but I'm still curious.
so the "double din thingy" (technical term?) attaches somehow to the dash? :D does it attach to the dash with screws/bolts or some other way? how does the head unit attach to the "double din thingy"? does it snap into place with some sort of pressure fittings?
A DIN sleeve (or double DIN sleeve in this case) is the industry standard for securing a headunit in a DIN sized opening. It's a metal sleeve with notches on each side that are bent down once the sleeve is inserted in the dash. That locks the sleeve in place so it can't go anywhere. The Z1 then slides into the sleeve, and is held in lace with a locking tab on each side of the unit so it can't slide back out.

The Pioneer install kit that you need is part number ADTVA133.