AVIC411.com

WANT TO INSTALL AVIC Z1 IN rav4 06

hi,
i have been reading posts in this forum and its wonderful. i have rav4 2006 . please if someone can help me directing that how should i go about thw whole thing. how and where can i get it installed. here in south jersey i asked car toyz , they said they have kit for rav4 but does the kit means the whole thing for the outer frame also? will it give the fine finish to the dash . please if someone an help me out in this matter. thanks
eupjoria,
My wife has a 06 RAV4 and I recently installed Motorolia's BlueTooth Handsfree kit in it. The Z1 will easily fit in the dash once the factory stereo is removed. Once you pop off the silver (at least that's the color on my car) dash trim pieces to the left and right of the radio there are 4 bolts that hold the factory stereo in place. A bracket is used to mount the factory stereo and this bracket should be easy to use with the Z1. The actual install (mounting / wiring) of the Z1 is probably the easy part. The dash adapter is key to making the Z1 look factory. Everything between the silver dash pieces is part of the factory radio. If your installer says they have a kit, Make them show you a picture of it prior to handing over your new car.

To pop out the silver dash pieces, use a stiff plastic spatula to pry underneath the trim at the bottom. It should pop out at the bottom and then should be pulled straight out (it has plastic comprssion clips at the bottom, side and top).

I recently did my own install of the Z1 in a 2002 Porsche 911. (picture posted in this forum). I couldn't find a dash kit or wiring harness so had to make it custom. Not sure how easy this would be with the RAV4's curved dash.

Some places to search for a kit are SCOSCHE.COM, MetraOnline.com. I didn't see a kit yet, but it is only a matter of time before they have it for a popular car like the 06 RAV4.

Hope this help a little.
hi mivey,
loads of thanks for your reply. did you actually install avic z1 in your wife's car. can you please send a picture of that. my rav4 is also silver . I couldnt figure out that if i take that plastic trim around factory radio out and even take the factory radio out , than how will i place avic z1 in there and even if i do as you said by unscrewing the factory nuts and placing z1 there but than what will fill the gaps around the z1 to give it a neat look. i talked with an installer in tweeter , he said he can make that curved piece for dash for 125$ and asking for 160$ for installation. unit cots for 2049$ if i buy form tweeter and they say that they will give life time warranty on installation or any other problem arises as they are auth. dealers for pioneer. so this is the whole story in short. i am wondering which way should i go .. :cry: thanks for your reply and will appreciate for your next one
eupjoria,
No I only installed the Motorola Bluetooth kit in my wife's RAV4. I installed the Z1 in my 911.

I did some checking for you and I think I know how the install shop will make the surround. I bet they will use a piece of the 12" by 12" ABS plastic that Metra sells (its a really easy way to make a surround faceplate for about $6) and they will cut it with a razor blade to fit the rectangular surround of the Z1 where needed and then using a blow torch to warm the plastic, they will bend it to fit the dash contour. If they are good, the piece will be sanded and painted with textured black rustolium brand paint or another color to make it match the dash perfectly. $125 +$160 bucks seems like a lot to me for the quick work but some people pay a whole lot more for their installs. You can also get the AVIC-Z1 for about $1,500 at [url=http://www.6Ave.com]www.6Ave.com[/url]. If your not able to make the faceplate yourself and If they will let you bring the Z1 in (purchased online) and still install for under $300 it may be worth it.

P/S it looks like the wiring harness is pretty easy to get so the majority of their labor will be in making the faceplate.