AVIC411.com

Map DVD and Ipod Video Questions

You have to press play to start playing video, you can then control everything from the D3. It helps if you put them all in a playlist.

No, you can't put it all on one DVD. Why would you need to?

Is it possible to control video functions directly from the D3 unit?

Is it possible to merger the map data onto a single dvd?

thanks in advance

I would like to say that the overlay works but it doesn't and I can confirm this from my recent trip from Columbia, MO to Quincy, ILL last week. Quincy is a board town to Missouri... however even board towns do not pull up.

I too would like to think that map data could be consolidated down to one disc. I mean prior to my new avic-d3 I used Iguidance on my ppc and and it had map data for the entire U.S. using a little over a gb of storage.

I would like to say that the overlay works but it doesn't and I can confirm this from my recent trip from Columbia, MO to Quincy, ILL last week. Quincy is a board town to Missouri... however even board towns do not pull up.

I too would like to think that map data could be consolidated down to one disc. I mean prior to my new avic-d3 I used Iguidance on my ppc and and it had map data for the entire U.S. using a little over a gb of storage.

it is my understanding that each map disk is a dual layer dvd. Dual layer dvd's are the highest capacity dvd's made/available. So what you are trying to do is take ~~17GB of data and fit it onto a single 8.7GB disk? Not possible.

Touche, in regards to Dual-Layer... However I struggle to understand what takes up 16gb of space. I would understand if every single POI was shown but sadly its not. I would also understand if the maps were completely updated, sadly their not.

As I said before I had the entire US, including POIs, stored on less than 1gb of space.

You did not have 12,000,000 POI on 1 gig. The maps also probably didn't look nearly as good, nor telephone search, nor XM information, etc. Lots more stuff on the disks than a portable

Indeed, the tele atlas maps for a 6 inch screen will be way bigger than a portable device, and have many more feature as you mentioned.

I honestly don't want to go back in forth in regards to what is a better navigational product. Both Iguidance which I used previous and my new Avic-D3 are great and get me where I'm going. Thats whats most important...

You are very much correct in regards to POI's (Iguidance only has 6 million)...

However, the thing that gets me is that there has to be 18gb of total data for the AVIC. Thats 17x the amount of storage needed than the program I used to use. I am simply complaining that I don't see a significant enough amount of VISUAL detail to add even an additional 1gb of space. If you would like screen shots of Iguidance visit www.inavcorp.com

I have noticed that Canada is included on one of the map disc and I assume thatmight be part of the issue. I would much rather have an additional disc for Canada alone, than waste my precious disc space on a foreign country.

Bottom line. I just want to know what is taking up so much space??????

I would imagine you are correct in the canada part, as well as hawaii and alaska. Also the phone number database must be gigantic as there are 10,000,000+ phone numbers with addresses in it. Not to mention the thousands of freeway signboards, the backgrounds that come with the unit, and the fact that all those graphics have to be nicer to look good on a bigger screen.