AVIC411.com

New here - Z2 wiring questions

Hi everyone.

I'm new here but have already gleaned plenty of useful information from all of you and this site. Thank you!

Here is my situation. I had a new Z2 "professionally" installed in my 2008 F-350. The shop didn't connect the orange/white wire from the Z2 to a lighting terminal so that the screen will dim when I turn the lights on. This thing is so bright at night I have to hit the V button and manually dim the screen. Can anyone tell me which OEM wire is the correct one for this connection? The guy at the shop said there should be a corresponding orange/white wire in the OEM harness. I've looked the harnesses over several times and there is no orange/white wire I can find. I went back to the shop and they said they never connect this feature. Is there some reason I wouldn't want this connected? They didn't have time to look at it and after taking the unit out myself, I would rather not have them hacking up my harnesses any more than they already have. I'm less than impressed with their methods. I've been working on cleaning up the connections. Anyone who is willing to strip a wire back, twist another wire around it and tape it up without any kind of positive/secure connection has no clue what he is doing and should be taken out and flogged accordingly.:x

The other thing is, they didn't connect the VSS. They told me I shouldn't need it and that the only VSS wire on this truck is going to the wiper motor and I would only have that function when the wipers are on. :?::? Is there a VSS wire on this truck I can use? The unit is less then accurate. It's usually a couple hundred feet off. The map display, while in motion, is somewhat jerky. From what I've read here, the overwhelming consensus is the VSS should be connected.

These are the two most important issues on my list. If I can get these resolved I have one or two others to throw at you.:)

Thanks in advance for your input!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I hope you paid those guys in beers instead of real money. I would definetly go get my money back from those jerk offs. If your stock radio had built in lights when you turn on your lights (which I'm sure it did) then the the wire harness should have an illumination wire unless they somehow gave you the wrong wire harness. One thing I noticed is that with the newer cars if they slightly modified the harness from the last year, they will try to use last years harness on the newer car. You might have to join a Ford Forum and find out what which wire is the illumination wire for your truck.

As far as the VSS, your truck obviously knows how fast its going from the speedometer, well do those bastards think the truck is magic? of course there is a wire that tells how fast it's going. That you will have to ask as well.

So for starters sign up to a Ford forum, a good one like http://www.fordforum.com/ and ask the fellas there in the F350 section. They should be able to better assist you in your specific car questions.

So for starters sign up to a Ford forum, a good one like http://www.fordforum.com/ and ask the fellas there in the F350 section. They should be able to better assist you in your specific car questions.

Thanks, rctjoe24! That's an excellent idea. I"m signed up on the Blue Oval forums. I may go there next. I posted here first because it was Z2 related and thought maybe someone here may have done an install on a '08 SuperDuty.

Thanks again!

wow, winshield wipers thats a first you should smack them with 2 grand lol thats what the guy did at best buy before he came to my shop. the illumination is easy just meter a +12v wire at the headlight switch if you cant find one behind the radio. the vss wire and illumination wire are usually in the harness behind the radio in newer fords. sorry i dont have the wire colors i cant access directechs from home anymore, however they are in there and the vss isn't going through the winshield wipers i promise you. also, try doing a level 1 reset by pushing the reset button on front to recalibrate the gps sometimes its off in the beginning.

• 1 month later...

I just got my Z unit Installed and everything is AWESOME, but they cannot find the illumination wire to save their lives. They are buddies of mine and I am just trying to help, so if you guys have a better answer to this question, like color of wire, cause one thing for sure is it was not in the wire harness. Any info will be appreciated

Devin

• 2 weeks later...
...and the vss isn't going through the winshield wipers i promise you.

Wrong. There is a VSS signal to the wiper module. It uses it to control the speed of the delay feature according to vehicle speed. However, if it's on the CAN Buss, it may not be readily accessible. A factory wiring diagram would be needed to determine accessibility.

Also, many newer FLM products no longer run a separate VSS wire to the radio. The Lincoln LS is a perfect example. It must be accessed at some point prior to being placed on the CAN Buss.

Please don't post information you aren't sure of.

Can't tell you about the 350, but in my 2007 150, there is already a VSS wire built into the factory radio harness. I just tapped right into it at the harness. Difinitely go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum. That's where I got all my info. Also make sure you connect you're reverse wire. This also helps in vehicle location on the GPS. Good Luck