AVIC411.com

Bypassed Z1 to Z2 Upgrade (using New Z1/Z2 Firmware!)

Hey there,

I have just noticed the news about Pioneer releasing a new firmware update HERE

I have a Z1 unit, /w stock HD, originally bypassed with the Ducatiboy flasher circuit. I also did the Gracenote update.

Yesterday I have just done the 06/07 two-wire bypass, and grounded the break and the rightmost pin in connector 2. After that I did the official Pioneer Bluetooth CD update, and unit remained unlocked. So far so good.

I was planning on getting a new HD (40 to 60GB) and loading the Z2Bypassed.tib image (from HERE) into it, as not to mess with the stock HD.

No problems there, except now that the Firmware updates have been released, I was wondering what the proper sequence should be:

1) Install Z1 firmware from HERE 1st

2) Pull stock HD and replace with Z2Bypassed one

3) Install Z2 firmware

or

1) Pull stock HD and replace with Z2Bypassed one

2) Install Z2 firmware

Finally, and in either scenario I'd obviously like to keep the bypass working so maybe someone can confirm the best method and no loss of bypass.

Thanks!

Hmmm... OK, that is good to hear, however after doing either procedure, if something goes wrong with the new HD (lockups, reboots, etc...) I can no longer revert to the stock HD, since it has the Z1 data on it and now my Z1 will have Z2 firmware, correct?

To make it work with the stock HD would I be able to flash the "Z2" with the Z1 firmware back?

Thanks.

Thanks Hyperite, that is excellent. I had feared the Firmware update went into flash memory on the Z1 itself and not on the drives. Glad to hear that is not the case.

Also, if I apply the new Z2 firmware linked above to a new Toshiba 60GB HD I have just setup with the "Z2Bypassed.tib" Acronis image, will it reset or "break" the software bypass patch in the Z2 image?

Thanks!

Nope, nothing breaks the bypass "patch".

And just to clarify, the firmware update DOES go into the flash memory, but it gets there via the software on the hard drive, and is updated any time the firmware definitions on the drive are different than the eprom.

OK this is good to know, now as soon as my 60GB Toshiba gets to me next week I'll be disabling the ATA locking, applying the "Z2Bypassed.tib" image, followed by running the Z2Firmware CD from Pioneer, and then post my results.

Thanks again Hyperite!

P.S. I also plan on removing the splash screens as garrettoomey described HERE by renaming the 2 files from the "Z2Bypassed" image. Anyone experience any troubles after doing that?

P.P.S Will the above remove the warning from the MAPS screen where you have to touch [OK] to see the maps after initial power-up? If not, does anyone know any way to remove it?