AVIC411.com

Problem w/AVIC-Z1 and new iPod "Classic"

Hey everyone. I originally had the 80GB iPod Video plugged into my AVIC-Z1 with the available iPod adapter. It worked about 90% of the time. I'd have to sometimes unplug it, but that was about it.

Well, about 3 months ago, it wouldn't play at all. I took it out of the glovebox and tried to start it up. I got the stupid little dead hard drive icon. I was going to replace it under my Best Buy replacement plan, but it all of the sudden came back to life.

A month later, it died again. This time for good.

So when I went to replace it, I was given the new version "Classic" 80GB video player, which is a little slimmer and matte black instead of glossy. It seems to work all the time, but I had to upgrade iTunes to 7.4. Once I upgraded, it simply refused to run. I uninstalled, reinstalled, scrubbed the registry, etc... I finally gave up and install XPlay, which worked like a dream. (on a side note, I HATE iTunes)

Which leads me to the problem:

The only problem is in my car, I can browse for an album, but once I hit "play", the starting track shows on the display and doesn't change when the next song starts. The song's progress bar advances and resets when the next song starts, but the title remains the same as the first song I touched to play.

I thought it was a glitch at first, but it happens no matter which album I choose. Will upgrading to the Z2 firmware help me??

There may be a way around it, but realistically, yes you need itunes to update ipod software now. If I remember corectly, you can install itunes on another computer, and when you connect the ipod is asks if you want to sync to that computer instead. I believe you can update the software even if you do click "no", but I would read instructions very carefully as it is very easy to erase your music by clicking the wrong answer to apple's pop ups.

Thanks for the reply. I'll install it on a PC that is not on my domain, so will not have the permissions to wipe out my music collection, just in case.

You can never be too careful with Crapple.... I really don't like Apple or their products. I really wish Pioneer would come up with a Zune interface!