AVIC411.com

N3 Install in 2007 Ford Escape - Help Please

Hi everyone I'm a noob and need some help getting my unit installed, any advice will be appreciated and remembered:

I have a 2007 Ford Escape with a MACH audio system and purchased a floor model N3 as well as a Crutchfield harness that comes with the additional harness for my factory subwoofer

I've heard that it is not necessary to connect the VSS and Reverse wires, is this true?

If I want to connect VSS and Reverse does anyone know where I would find them in my Escape?

As stated I bought a floor model and upon reviewing the contents of the package discovered that there are two black grounds and that they should be connected some how and then fused with a 10A fuse... problem is I do not have the connector or the fuse, what do I need to buy to make this work?

The non fused ground can be connected through the Crutchfield harness and tied into the factory harness I beleive, but where does teh fused ground get connected?

Will I hook up the Blue Antenna Wire, Orange Illumination wire and Yellow/Black Cellular mute wire or are they not necessary?

Lastly, is it possible to put the brain behind the dash and if so how have people done this?

Sorry for asking so many questions especially since I know some of you are real pros, however, I am not and have never installed something as complex as this unit but don't want to pay an installer $300 to put it in for me when I know I can do it with a little help.

Thanks again for any help anyone is able to provide.

What would happen if I put both ground wires together and didn't use the fuse?

I've discovered that the VSS in an Escape is located in the engine compartment behind the battery and all that I need to do is run teh wire through the firewall and put the clamp onto it, still wondering if it is necessary to hook up the VSS, I understand it is supposed to make the GPS more accurate can anyone speak from experience as to wheter or not it really makes a difference?

Same for the reverse wire I know it is accessible at the rear of my vehicle but is it necessary and will it improve perfomance of the GPS? Also is there a spot in the interior of the vehicle where this wire can be accessed?

Would appreciate someone advising if I am ok to not connect the orange illumination wire and blue remote wires, I have detrmined the yellow/black mute wire is not necessary... does anyone have the orange or blue wires hooked up?

I think my biggest problem/question is regarding the ground wires... but would still like your advice on the other questions.

Would be really interested in hearing how someone put the brain behind the dash too.

Thanks again

I've decided to order a replacement power harness instead of screwing around with it... I got such a smoking deal on the unit anyway that another few bucks won't break the bank... long story short the ground problems will be fixed.

I also realized I'm an idiot and that the fused line is actually the yellow power line and that the two grounds are connected just one of them runs through a box with the yellow power wire.

Still wondering about the other questions if anyone can help in next few days since I have to wait for the new harness anyway I would appreciate it.

No one out there knows about the blue and orange wires or how to mount the brain behind the dash?

Has anyone instaleld one of these units in a Ford and if so where was the easiest place to get the reverse and VSS? I really would prefer to not run wired to the back of my vehicle or screw with anythign in the engine compartment.

Thanks again for any help

Thanks for your reply whtcrxghst, I will check both those spots on my Escape... where did you hide the brain?

I also heard that I might be able to get the reverse wire in the junction box at the passenger side of the console, does anyone know if this is true?

Looking for confirmation that the VSS is Black/Grey and the Reverse is Black/Pink?

Does anyone have the illumination (orange) and remote antenna (blue) hooked up?