AVIC411.com

School a nub on the AVIC-D2 and iPods

I got an AVIC-D2 system a while back.

Since then, I've done the bypass with no problems. I got a copy of the newest firmware/maps and updated it. I got an external, portable DVD player and hooked it up to the AUX inputs.

Now I'd like to hook up an iPod to it. I have a classic Nano. I understand there are multiple ways to do it. I tried searching, and going back over 20 pages, and gathered little bits of information here and there..

1) CDIB100II

This is the Pioneer iPod interface. It's slow. Something magical happens if you "clip the blue wire" but I can't figure out what.

2) iPod2Car

This interface is supposedly better than the one listed above. Not sure why.

3) IP-Bus to Aux Input adapter

This offers no control to the iPod through the head unit, and only adds an Aux Input for Audio only.

4) iPod to A/V out

This offers no control like the above method, BUT it also allows you to display video from your iPod on your screen. But, I already have my DVD player connected to the A/V input...

It seems like each method has their own benefits and drawbacks. Apparently, there's a blue wire you can clip on the CDIB100II which makes it better, but I couldn't figure out what it does. It also looks like the iPod2car interface is better than this one overall, but don't know why. If I were to get a new iPod (widescreen nano), would I have any problems?

Please help me out, there's so much information out there, and I'm having a hard time getting a handle on everything.

oh, and one last question. How's the TV? What do I need to receive and display television signals? Is it worth it?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

back over 20 pages, and gathered little bits of information here and there..

1) CDIB100II

This is the Pioneer iPod interface. It's slow. Something magical happens if you "clip the blue wire" but I can't figure out what.

if you clip the blue wire you can control the ipod directly from the ipod, as opposed as thru the headunit

The bluetooth doesn't work that well with a D2. Probably wanna upgrade to the D3 if you're gonna do that

ah, that's great information. I didn't even think about Bluetooth stuff. I'd like information on that, but I'll probably end up having to make a new thread for that.

thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming you can't play video through the CD-IB100ii ... is this true?

Also, another question about the CD-IB100ii. it has an IP-BUS pass through.. would I be able to get an IP-BUS to RCA adapter, and plug into that, to give me yet another additional audio input?

what are your opinions on something like: this

It has the iPod dock connector to 3 RCA outputs, along with pos+ and neg wires to charge the iPod. This will allow me to get audio and video, charge, but no control through the D2, and no text display (8 characters, non scrolling.. woopty doo, right?)