AVIC411.com

Switching from D3 to N3 - Install and Usage questions

Hey all -

I currently have a D3 installed in my 04 Jetta. My wife also has an 04 Jetta and she really wants a nav unit for her car.

Well I found an N3 at my local circuit city for $600 and I am pretty sure I'm going to get it. However, the wife doesn't want the N3, she wants the D3. So I'm probably going to be swapping out the D3 in my car for the N3 and then give her my D3.

I realize the N3 has the brain and all, but are the connections pretty much the same for installation between the D3 and N3? I really don't want to rewire everything. Hoping all the necessary connections are the same? Does anyone have pics of the N3 wiring? So far googling hasn't brought up any good results.

My other concern is iPod usage. One of the main reasons I purchased the D3 was for the iPod control and the guys down at circuit city were telling me the N3 is night and day different. They were telling me N3 iPod control is horrible but from what I've read today, that isn't true. It's different, but the N3 seems pretty nice still? Can anyone compare the 2?

Thank you!

After reading through the install manuals on Pioneer's site, it looks like the connections are a bit different. The N3 only has speaker and power hookups on the unit its self while the GPS input is on the brain. On the D3 all connections are on a single connection. Guess I'll be cutting and recrimping some wires - yay.

As for the iPod aspect of it, while the D3 and N3 are different it looks like the N3 is still decent and will work just fine for what I need.

I'd still be interested in hearing opinions of anyone who has used both extensively. Thanks again!

N3 ipod interface is much slower and doesn't transfer video. Other than that, its usable but not nearly as nice

Hey. Thanks for the reply. I knew about the video piece but I don't use it now so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Hearing that the interface is much slower concerns me a little though. I wouldn't say the D3 is overly fast now (although I do have 40gb of music) so how much slower is the N3? Painful? And its the interface thats slow, not slowness once you get something fired up I am hoping? For example, once I choose a playlist, is there a long pause between tracks? Is there a long delay before song info displays?