AVIC411.com

Is there a good reason to use VSS wire?

I'm a noob and don't know much about auto nav systems, so take this FWIW. I just installed a D3 in my car and didn't hook up the VSS. Just did a 4 day road trip over Thanksgiving weekend and there did not seem to be any degradation in the nav capabilities of the system. I thought I might hook up the VSS in the future, but so far I see no reason to do so.

Also, I fly small aircraft (cessnas and such) and use a handheld Garmin system when doing so. The Garmin doesn't talk to the plane at all but navigates quite well. Is there a difference in an automotive application? I don't know.

The deck has software that combines VSS information with the GPS info and gyro info to improve accuracy. Also helpful if you're in the forest, tunnel, or downtown area where you don't get sat reception

I have a Z2 installed in multiple vehicles. Both are running what's called Simple Mode with no VSS. The only issues I have is when I am going up an down the hills where I am located, my position is off the road due to sat signal loss. With the following observations stated...

Question: With the VSS connected it is only going to simulate your driving based on the last position in a straight line and your speed, if you make a turn the VSS does not help you. Would this be a true statement?

Thanks.

The computer also tracks the road that u are on. So with no sat info the system will keep u on the road, the distance down the road determined by the speed sensor.

My question is why not hook it up, it can't hurt, will improve the accuracy in many situations and someone on this forum has the same car you have and can tell u the easiest location to tap into the speed wire.

Vss allows to Z2 to respond much quicker... The GPS updates only happen about once every 5 seconds or so, whereas the updates from the VSS are paractically instantaneous.

This makes the unit much more responsive, and also means the position on the map and prompts come with less time lag...

Obviously also helps if you (temporarily) have no GPS reception...

Why not?

Because some vehicles when connected show they are moving faster then what they are really going. Not all VSS's work...

Specifically...

Chevy 2005 Colorado which I happen to own.

So some of us have no choice to drive without.

I'm not sure about the Z2 but the factory NAV on my Lexus GS has the ability to adjust the NAV for errors from the VSS. Hopefully someone on this forum will know how to make similar adjustments to the Z2

Why not?

Because some vehicles when connected show they are moving faster then what they are really going. Not all VSS's work...

Specifically...

Chevy 2005 Colorado which I happen to own.

So some of us have no choice to drive without.

I'm not sure about the Z2 but the factory NAV on my Lexus GS has the ability to adjust the NAV for errors from the VSS. Hopefully someone on this forum will know how to make similar adjustments to the Z2

Not needed, the Z1/Z2 autocalibrates, using the map data and GPS...

The deck has software that combines VSS information with the GPS info and gyro info to improve accuracy. Also helpful if you're in the forest, tunnel, or downtown area where you don't get sat reception

I have a Z2 installed in multiple vehicles. Both are running what's called Simple Mode with no VSS. The only issues I have is when I am going up an down the hills where I am located, my position is off the road due to sat signal loss. With the following observations stated...

Question: With the VSS connected it is only going to simulate your driving based on the last position in a straight line and your speed, if you make a turn the VSS does not help you. Would this be a true statement?

Thanks.

The unit has a gyroscope built into it so it can detect turns, uphills, down hillis, sudden slowdown or accelleration. If you go to the 3d calibration page and drive a bit, turn, stop, etc it shows you what it detects. It's pretty cool.

I have the VSS wire hooked up and its really nice, especially in long tunnels. I'd imagine if your in boston around the big dig area this would be crucial.